RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Has Anyone Heard Any News on What Microsoft is Going About WHS?

PCEddie

I have looking at the WHS forums and listening to the podcast but have not heard any news on what Microsoft is going to do about Vail much less the future of WHS. The reason I am bring up this up is due to a question from one of my clients today. He asked me about a backup solution for his office of Windows computers which is less than 10. This is a perfect scenario for WHS but was hesitant to offer WHS as a backup solution because of Microsoft's actions over the last two months.

Has anyone an idea or rumor what is going to happen to WHS?

WHS V1 will be valid for at least the next 3 years. I'd say implement something now and you can just update it down the road.

Thanks for the quick reply and that is what I was thinking of going with. I know others implemented/suggested WHS to their friends, family, and customers and curious as everyone's feelings about Microsoft's actions?

The customer has a computer is perfect for WHS so we can use that. I am finishing building a WHS for my church. I was able to catch a deal on a MB and AMD processor. I had the rest of the parts to put it together. I will deploy that WHS this week and setup it up to backup the 7 church computers.

Are you still deploying WHS to your customers Dave?

I hear all the furor about replacing v1 with RAID, Drobo, Synology, etc. With 3 years

left in V1 I'm sticking with that until a clear front runner emerges. For the price

and flexibility it still can't be beat. However, like everyone else I am quite frustrated

with MS for dropping DE and HP for dropping the MSS.

Stick with V1 for backups and duplicated data such as photos. Stay tuned here for updates but for media there are other options. Have been very very impressed with raid solutions for media servers but for back and the daily critical stuff at homne, staying with V1 make sense right now.

That is exactly why I am going to rebuild my WHS...it is excellent for backing my photographs. In the event something better is released for my media collection I will probably use that as well.

Tim