RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP G8 - SATA AHCI - Select Boot Disk

xPETEZx

Hey Guys,

Recently been messing around with using a HP G8 Microserver with the SATA mode set to AHCI to then make use of Storage Spaces & Pools. Tiered storage etc, just for testing at this point. See how it performs.

I have come across something rather annoying, and hoping somebody can help. The OS (Server 2016) was installed to an SSD originally installed in Bay 1. Later I got hold of a Floppy disk -> SATA power cable, and moved the OS drive to the ODD bay. However I cannot change the disk to boot from anywhere.

If I start the server with just the ODD bay disk attached, boots to windows fine. I can then hot-plug my other disks once the OS is booted and carry on with my testing. 

However once I reboot, It fails to start, saying no boot disk found.

I can "fix" this by removing the other 4 drives and letting it get to windows, then plugging the drives back in. 

I cant find anywhere in the bios to select WHICH disk to boot from, just which order to boot the controllers.

While using the B120i controller, its easy to move disks around, and there is the option within the HP tool to select which disk to boot from.

I have moved the OS disk from bay 1 to bay 5 on another MS G8 which is using B120i and although I needed to recreate the RAID 0 1-disk array, I could then select this as boot and everything starts just fine.

Wondering if anybody else has run into this issue? I have been able to recreate the issue using 2 different MS G8s, both in SATA mode. (And on both I can do the B120i trick to move boot OS around)

What I find odd is that it does not just look for a bootable partion on all the disks everytime.

Advice / thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers

In AHCI mode the MS Gen8 will only boot from the ODD port if there are no drives in the front bays. There is no boot priority setting in AHCI. Using the B120i you can boot from any drive.

You can use a bootloader to use AHCI and boot from the ODD port:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recently tried this with the Bootloader and it worked well, the instructions are a bit complex for me, but I just followed them line by line and it worked.

Only issue I had after was it seemed to turn Windows 10 (OS I was using) into a "Windows to Go" version, which disabled hibernation and haven't been able to re-enable it yet.

but I do have 4 drives, plus an SSD to Boot, and a Internal DVD drive, so very happy.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, sorry for late response.

I think I will just stick to using the B120i

If I do end up wanting to use AHCI ill put the boot drive in slot 1 rather than mess with bootloaders.

Cheers