RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replace an old WHS with a new build

JediTim

I am currently running a homebuilt WHS that I built back in March 2008. When I built the WHS I didn’t anticipate that I would upload all of my DVD and now BluRay disks to the server to stream via MyMovies. I have run out of SATA ports and space in my case. I would like to rebuild my server with a new motherboard with more SATA ports and am currently looking at a Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 motherboard (newegg) and a i5 CPU.

My question surrounds setting up the server once it is built. I would need to transfer the data from one WHS to the other…based on another thread I could probably just pull a drive from the current WHS and transfer the data to the new server. My goal would be to then just replace one WHS with the new one and have the settings setup the same for a seamless transition. Is this possible or am I just dreaming. Would I be better off building the server, transferring the data and then creating the settings I need…probably the biggest pain would be the media for MyMovies…hopefully I can save the file within WHS and copy it to the new WHS without needing to rebuild the MyMovies database.

What would you do?

I know of this post that describes how to upgrade/replace the system drive for WHS v1. I would imagine this requires your upgrade system to use the same drivers for the cpu and chipset.

Another thought is to have both servers running on the network and transfer the files over a few days, you could use teracopy(supports pause of transfers) to only do the transfer at night so that you still have the uptime.

If you choose to use teracopy I recommend enabling the verify option as I often have transfer errors(a few files every few thousand files).

Edited by stalni

Personally I like to rebuild machines with a clean install and then copy the data. There shouldn't be that many settings to customize. I'm pretty sure you can copy the My Movies database so you don't have to enter those again.

Guest no-control

What would you do?

Would I be better off building the server, transferring the data and then creating the settings I need

^^^This

Would you use a SSD drive for the system drive or would I be better off using 2TB Green drives for all my drives?

There is an option in the WHS mymovies add in that lets you backup the database to a specific location, i've copied that file to a usb stick and restored it after a reinstall in the past. worked great.

Build new and fresh install. As for myMovies, the WHS version already backs up you data base automatically (check the settings section in your console). You can simply move those somewhere.

Thanks for your input...I guess I will plan on a new WHS v1 build in the 1st quarter and follow the advice above.

Happy New Year

Tim

Edited by JediTim