RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
oj88

Sharing my Smart Home setup... through Alexa

oj88

Not sure where to put this, so here goes...

I've always been fascinated with smart home control and automation. The problem then was, there were dozens of different platforms that typically don't talk to each other.

That changed when the Amazon Echo came out. Now, I was able to build my smart home around the Echos. You could say that the Echo unified disparate platforms and provided the perfect human interface for controlling smart home devices. They are now front and center for controlling my home.

I've only started building my smart home early this year so everything is a work in progress.

Things I currently have:

The front-end and main interface:

2x Echo Dots - Installed in the living room and bedroom

1x Echo Spot - Still on order from Amazon. This will eventually go to the living room then move one of the Dots to the kitchen

The back-end:

1x Broadlink RM Pro+ - Universal IR + 433MHz RF blaster. Controls the living room TV, A/V, A/C (IR) and the Broadlink TC2 light switches (RF)

1x Broadlink RM Mini3 - Universal IR blaster. Controls the bedroom TV, soundbar, and A/C

1x Android TV Box running Tasker RM Plugin - Acts as a bridge that simulates a Philips Hue hub

1x Raspberry Pi 2 running Home Assistant (Hass.io) - Acts as a bridge to support hundreds of other smart home products (including my Xiaomi-Philips bulbs below, which were originally designed to work only in Mainland China)

Switches:

4x Smart WiFi pluggable switches - Controls two nightstand lamps, the EQ rack of my A/V equipment, and a fan

3x Broadlink TC2 light switches - Controls the lights in the bedroom, living room, and the dining room/kitchen

Lights:

4x RGB+W Smart WiFi bulbs - Accent lighting in the living room

2x White Xiaomi-Philips Smart WiFi bulbs - Installed in the stairwell

Environmental:

1x Broadlink A1 - Provides room temperature, illumination, air quality, humidity, and noise levels

Some videos of my setup:

• Like 1

GavinCampbell

These were tuff to watch with my echo next to me.. haha.

Good job though.  I've got a lot of stuff hooked up too, but its all centrally controlled through hubitat.  I mainly just use Alexa for the voice to kick of things in hubitat.  It works pretty well this way.

I have had to write a tonne of code to integrate all the systems that don't like to integrate but it has been rock solid since.

andyhoang

Alexa, play Thank You by Dido