RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 10 April 2018 Update

JackoUK

After 2 disk failures … and the W10 April update … and the first patch Tuesday …

… I've been spending a lot of time moving data and testing this past 2 weeks.

I prompted the so called '1803 feature update' immediately it was available via Windows Update, having prepared via Insider test builds.

The process went through slowly but steadily on all my machine types … which you will see from my signature are all pretty old and low powered devices.

There was a vestigial File Explorer item which once closed left everything intact bar the usual window rearrangement/prompts $MSFT likes to make to File Explorer and Edge.

Oh and the usual additional forcing tactics e.g. you see a yellow warning flag on the defender security notification icon if you are logged on to a local account rather than a Microsoft email account. 

Only 1 bug to speak of - I have not experienced the problems others have been reporting in the press.

The HOMEGROUP feature has been removed from this release with a likely side effect: other network machines and their shared file systems no longer appear under Network Places.

They are accessible but one has to type the machine name in the File Explorer address bar e.g. \\HPMICROSERVER5 to start any action.

Since I have been moving lots of files around I have also noticed that the network is not as stable as before: a remote shared area can be accessible one minute but not the next.

No showstoppers for me (famous last words).

Edited by JackoUK

Unrelated I think.

The disks were old HDD's not SSD's and the data recovery was done before the upgrade.