Bustout

Finally replacing my WHS

Bustout

Picked up this DS918+ to replace my ailing home server. Anything I need to be weary of when configuring it? Any app recommendations?b7f4f0c099c8c9728d65e6c6e0a3edab.jpg

• Like 1

Dave

Wow, that's a nice box!  What drives are you going with?  As for apps, I would get a cloud backup going somewhere and then start a sync with any of your other cloud services, dropbox, onedrive, etc.

Jason

Very cool. Somehow I still cannot imagine not running a full server on my home network. Currently running WSE12R2. Have considered upgrading it to WSE2016, but have been waiting to see whether there will be an R2.

Do these Synology boxes have the horsepower to run Plex Media Server, sonarr, sabnzbd, etc?

greg.schlein
Very cool. Somehow I still cannot imagine not running a full server on my home network. Currently running WSE12R2. Have considered upgrading it to WSE2016, but have been waiting to see whether there will be an R2.

Do these Synology boxes have the horsepower to run Plex Media Server, sonarr, sabnzbd, etc?
I have a 1817+ and sonarr, nzbget and plex all work fine.
But it depends on how your media is coded how well plex runs
  • Like 1

Bustout

I'm going with the 3tb reds from my old server. I'm just trying to find the space elsewhere to move my data off the server temporarily. I thought I could bring the disks over one by one, but now I realize I have too much data for that. I'm making it work though. Even if I have to dig up every external drive I can find in my garage to use as temporary storage space. ;)

Wow, that's a nice box!  What drives are you going with?  As for apps, I would get a cloud backup going somewhere and then start a sync with any of your other cloud services, dropbox, onedrive, etc.

I know they can handle Plex well. I'm not familiar with the other applications.

ShadowPeo

Dockerize everything, I run NZBGet, Sickrage etc all in Docker containers, I have not done Plex yet as I have yet to be bothered to do the migration.

• Like 1

Snapshot

I'm considering one of these as well and demoting my AS5104T to be secondary server.

@Bustout - are you adding any M2 drives for read/write cache?

ShadowPeo

I have heard good things about the cache drives, I have to sacrifice 2 of my bays if I want them, if I had M2 I would be on it like a fat kid on a cupcake

• Like 1

Bustout
I'm considering one of these as well and demoting my AS5104T to be secondary server.
@Bustout - are you adding any M2 drives for read/write cache?
Eventually. Right now I don't have the $. I used everything I had to get the box.