RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Slingbox

joem

I was considering buying a Slingbox. Again, I don't have a Comcast box. I presume I would take the Coax feed that now goes directly to my TV that has a cablecard and plug that into the Slingbox coax input and then run a coax cable from the Slinbox coax output to my TV. The reason I ask is that I looked at the Slingbox web site and am completely confused about their setup instructions for my particular environment since they don't address it specifically. It seems to deal with just homes that use a Comcast box or something of that nature. Thanks.

I have done more research and it looks like I'm out of luck. It appears you need a Comcast set top box. Darn I hate those. That is why I bought TVs with cable cards! Too bad Slingbox doesn't make a box with cable card. Comcast im my area is even upgrading the cable cards for bidirectional functionality allowing two way communication for on demand services, which I don't use by the way.

Yup. It is meant to take the output of a set-top box and show that. That said, do any of your TV's have any video outputs? The other nice thing about having it off of a set-top-box is that you don't have to have the TV on to use it, which saves on the power bill (and also it might be weird to have the tv turn randomly on when watching from somewhere else.

Yes I have Monitor Out. For Svideo and component video. But how would that work with a Slingbox? Connecting and so forth. Thanks.

Edited by joem

You would connect the monitor out of the TV into the Input of the slingbox and just have nothing out Sling's output. Then connect the IR blaster to the IR receiver of the TV and it'll work as it would a STB.

Well that sounds pretty nice! Thanks. I Imagine since the TV has the cable card all of the channels will be available. Very good. I get it now. Since the cable card has done the confirmations it will then just pass through to TV outputs and a device such as a Slingbox. Therefore my TV is the audio/video source as opposed to a STB.

Been using a slingbox for awhile now and you can use one on your setup as long as you have an output from your TV. Hopefully a component out would be preferable but the S-Video will work. Again providing the TV has output. THere is no difference between a STB and and your setup in terms of hook up as explained by usacomp2k3.

• 8 months later...
Been using a slingbox for awhile now and you can use one on your setup as long as you have an output from your TV. Hopefully a component out would be preferable but the S-Video will work. Again providing the TV has output. THere is no difference between a STB and and your setup in terms of hook up as explained by usacomp2k3.

Mike...I am interested in either using the InfiniTV 4 / HD Homerun or the Slingbox. I am thinking the Slingbox would be a good solution for my needs. I currently have 2 TiVo boxes and my son would liek a DVR in his room. I am planning on building a HTPC for his room to access the WHS 2011 for MyMovies.

If I understand correctly I can use the Slingbox on my Family Room Tivo and connect to the Slingbox through the HTPC in his room. Would this work well?

Question - If he changes channels on the Slingbox throught the HTPC in his room would it change channels on the Tivo in the Family Room? Since it is using an IR blaster to the Tivo I am concerned...don't want to be forced to watch what he is watching.

Thanks, Tim

• 1 month later...

If I understand correctly I can use the Slingbox on my Family Room Tivo and connect to the Slingbox through the HTPC in his room. Would this work well?

Question - If he changes channels on the Slingbox throught the HTPC in his room would it change channels on the Tivo in the Family Room? Since it is using an IR blaster to the Tivo I am concerned...don't want to be forced to watch what he is watching.

Thanks, Tim

1. Yes, you can use the SlingBox w/ TV and watch content from that TiVo via the SlingPlayer application on the PC

2. Yes, the SlingBox simply "place-shifts", so essentially the SlingPlayer application becomes an additional monitor + remote control for the TiVo. Channels changed via SlingPlayer would necessarily change the channels on the TiVo.