RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cannot install video driver

Tony

Hi all,

Working with my first Microserver, which is a Gen 10 with the X3421 APU running Windows Server 2016 Essentials.

I performed a clean install of the OS, and installed the chipset drivers which seemed to have installed drivers for the display adapter correctly. I then let it run overnight installing Windows updates, and found it the next day unresponsive. A hard reboot and it came back up, but it had reverted to the MS Default Display Device and I found myself unable to re-install the display driver.

Attempts to use the HP drivers to reinstall result in a 'no compatible device' error. Attempts to 'search automatically' tell me that the best driver is already installed (MS Default Display).

I ended up reinstalling the OS and updating the firmware to the latest version, but have encountered the exact same problem.

I have tried both the 2012 and 2016 driver packages with no success. Both extract the same folders for device drivers:

-          Gpio

-          I2C

-          PSP

-          Smbus

-          UART

None of them appear to me as though they would include display drivers, but I have tried each anyway even disabling the compatible hardware checkbox when using "have disk" to try to manually update the device driver in Computer Manager. They all result in a ‘no compatible device’ notice and I cannot proceed regardless of which inf file I try to use.

There is currently only one version for Server 2016 available on the HP website (v17.10). I have asked HP support if they access to a repository so that I can try some prior versions, but it seems not. I have sent them my application and system event logs, but was advised that they "did not see any event regarding the display driver being modified", and have been advised that we have "pretty much exhausted all options".

I have searched and cannot find drivers on the AMD website, and the auto updated application also doesn't seem to install/operate properly.

I would probably give up at this point and live with low res, except that the MS default driver seems to cause some issues with the display not coming back from a monitor sleep state. If I RDP to it in this state, it wakes the monitor up, but it will not respond to keyboard/mouse to wake the monitor.

Unless it's a hardware issue, surely I cannot be the only one who has experienced this and I am hoping someone may have some advice/drivers/other troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks,

Tony

For some strange reason they have removed the Chipset Driver that included the Graphics driver!!! I can confirm this. Thankfully I still have it so I will upload it to my GDrive and will post the link. 

FYI, the name of the file is: "AMD_Chipset_Graphic_Driver_for_WS2016"

THANK YOU!!

That driver does not appear in the download option list for Gen10, or appear in any search I have tried over at support.hpe.com... I've also been talking to their support team for a week now, and haven't been offered it.

This has fixed my problem, and I am sure this will also help others - thanks again Nikos!

Edited by Tony
To confirm that this has fixed my issue :)

THANK YOU!!

That driver does not appear in the download option list for Gen10, or appear in any search I have tried over at support.hpe.com... I've also been talking to their support team for a week now, and haven't been offered it.

This has fixed my problem, and I am sure this will also help others - thanks again Nikos!

Happy to help Tony. I cannot figure out why they have removed the driver... It makes Gen 10 unusable in WS2016... It must be a mistake since there is no problem with this driver, I have been using it for at least 2 months without a problem!