RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP WHS

europaxs

Hi All,

A few days ago I noticed I could not access my shares on the WHS. My system as well as my wife's laptop could see them.

Remote Desktop works about ½ of the time, (see image below no login) sometimes I cannot RDC at all when it's in this state.

Ping does work at all times.

I tried a remote shutdown but I get back an error after about 45 seconds. "the network address is invalid"

So, I pressed the power button for 1 second, and waited 10 mins. The server never powered down. After that RDC would not respond, but PING did work.

At this point I can PING, but no RDC, and no shares are working. Console will not come up.

I pressed the button down until the unit powered off.

After a few minutes I turned the WHS back on. After 5 mins I am able to RDC, PING, and see the shares!

A few hours later (hard to say), BAM I am back at the same problem as before.

I looked at logs, and saw nothing out of the ordinary that would cause problems. I did see that it thinks the Backplane was at 95C, which is like 204F I think. I don’t think that is right, the server is out in the open on the top of my desk (close to the celling) and has plenty of airflow.

The only think I plugged in was a “USB MagicJack”, nothing happened to I moved it to my desktop. MagicJack did not installed any software that I know of. But, I guess new USB driver might have installed?

Would seeing the logs help?

Thanks,

EuropaXS

If you are seeing 95C on your backplane, you will shopping for a new WHS very soon as the backplanes are not designed to withstand that temperature. Some of the components can but the entire thing. Things get squirely after about 65C. You said plenty of air but does it feel hot? How are you reading the temperatures. Do you have a temperature device such as an IR or something you can put into the case? It sounds more like a hardware failure then your magic jack.

If it were the CPU overheating I think it would just shut down. How are you seeing a backplane temp? That's an interesting stat. I'm thinking with that kind of temperature reading you would feel some heat at the back. Agree with the others, maybe we need to get some temp readings inside the box and see what is going on. What model is it? If it's an EX470 or 475 you can run a fan speed add-in to turn up the fans. http://homeservershow.com/mss-fan-control-review.html

I have some data points:

Both fans are running.

Server off: Room temp at server location is at 80F

Server on: (After running 15 mins.)

Max IR Temp on the backside = 103F

Max IR Temp on the frontside = 92.6F

Air Temp Sensor setting on the back of the server after 15 mins = 88F

HD Temps:

Drive 0 = 45C

Drive 1 = 37C

Drive 2 = 41C

Drive 3 = 40C

I am not sure what day the server quit working, I normlly only store our pictures and home movies up on the server.. I don't work with it each day.

But, looking at the Update/Patch logs I see a few new ones in December. For all I know the server could have been down since the 16th.

On 12/16/2010 there were a number of updates:

KB2416400

KB2440591

KB2443105

KB2296199

KB2467659

KB2443685

KB2423089

KB2436673

I did find an article talking about the WNAS Backplane temp high reading in the Windows Logs:

Backplane temp

Seems that each time the WNAS service is started it will give a false reading. Looking at the logs I see that each time the server restarts it does in fact give the temp high warning even before the system warms up.

I think it's a KB update..

I was RDC'ed in to the box watching the Memory and CPU usage. Also, I had a WHS console on watching HD Temps. After the server was on for around 30 mins, the HD temps quit updating. The WHS console locked up. The RDC session was still working and I could see 2-5% CPU with plenty of RAM left.

After just a few clicks in the RDC window the Task Manager, Log Viewer and Installed updates screen all said "Not Responding".

At this point the RDC allows me to move a screen around, but it leaves copies of the image. After another 10 seconds the RDC session does not respond, but the session does not die. No new RDC, WHS console, or Drive share can be accessed at this point. Temps were running the same as when it all worked.

EuropaXS

Is the the older EX470.

The Windows Logs/Server (I believe) under Admin is where I saw the backplane temp. Only reports if it's too high.

I also found this link:

Backplane temp

Sounds like a false reading..

If it were the CPU overheating I think it would just shut down. How are you seeing a backplane temp? That's an interesting stat. I'm thinking with that kind of temperature reading you would feel some heat at the back. Agree with the others, maybe we need to get some temp readings inside the box and see what is going on. What model is it? If it's an EX470 or 475 you can run a fan speed add-in to turn up the fans. http://homeservershow.com/mss-fan-control-review.html

New Update:

I uninstalled all of the MS patches that it pulled on 12/16/2010.

A reboot of the box and everything seemed to work fine for about 40 minutes.

Once again, after 40 mins, the box started dropping connections and while I can still PING it, I cannot RDC, WHS Console, or get to the shares any longer.

I was watching the Task Manager when it died. The CPU was around 3-5%, when I noticed the WHS Console was not updating.

When I scrolled down to kill the WHS Console, Task Manager just quit responding. At this point I still have the RDS running, but nothing will respond.

Sure wish I could plug in a Keyboard and monitor!

EuropaXS

Hi All,

A few days ago I noticed I could not access my shares on the WHS. My system as well as my wife's laptop could see them.

Remote Desktop works about ½ of the time, (see image below no login) sometimes I cannot RDC at all when it's in this state.

Ping does work at all times.

I tried a remote shutdown but I get back an error after about 45 seconds. "the network address is invalid"

So, I pressed the power button for 1 second, and waited 10 mins. The server never powered down. After that RDC would not respond, but PING did work.

At this point I can PING, but no RDC, and no shares are working. Console will not come up.

I pressed the button down until the unit powered off.

After a few minutes I turned the WHS back on. After 5 mins I am able to RDC, PING, and see the shares!

A few hours later (hard to say), BAM I am back at the same problem as before.

I looked at logs, and saw nothing out of the ordinary that would cause problems. I did see that it thinks the Backplane was at 95C, which is like 204F I think. I don’t think that is right, the server is out in the open on the top of my desk (close to the celling) and has plenty of airflow.

The only think I plugged in was a “USB MagicJack”, nothing happened to I moved it to my desktop. MagicJack did not installed any software that I know of. But, I guess new USB driver might have installed?

Would seeing the logs help?

Thanks,

EuropaXS

New update to my server problems.

I booted up cold and monitored temps for awhile, all looks good.

I then started really watching what processes were running, CPU, and RAM usage using a RDP session.

After about 35 mins the RDP session quit updating and everything quit responding at that point.

Details on what was running:

Searchindexer - Memory Usage = 238 meg

wmccds.exe - Memory Usage = 160 meg

dmigrator.exe - Memory Usage = 13 meg and CPU = 10 -12 %

The one thing I noticed is that the wmccds.exe started out way below 100 megs of RAM, and slowly built up to 160 meg.

I pulled the 2GB stick of RAM out and I have it in another system with MemTestx86 running on it for errors, so far 20 mins and no errors.

So, should I just re-install the OS? I am running out of ideas and options. And my wife wants to access the baby pics.. :)

Thanks,

EuropaXS

Okay on the name EuropaXS.. I get asked a lot if I live outside the USA..

I live in Texas, but I fly a Europa XS airplane designed in the UK. You can find pics on google of what a Europa XS looks like.

Remember that if you reinstall the OS, you must uninstall the connector software off the PC, because if the PC was up to date, it should have the Power Pack 3 version, while doing a reinstall brings back you server to Power Pack 1.

You can also try installing WHS Toolkit 1. Run that on your PC as an administrator to be able the see all the checks.

I have some new updates:

I could feel hot air coming out of the back of server, but after very leaving the top off and powering it on I realized that both of the 80mm fans were NOT spinning! The hot air I could feel was coming from the PSU only.

So, I purchased two new fans. They are a 3 pin not a 4 pin, but they do spin up and keep it cool.

But now I have a new problem.. all 4 HD lights are RED, the Power and Network lights are Blue, and the Health light is RED (kinda a mix of blue and red). No flashing of the health light. As soon as it powers on the lights go red and never change. (waited 1 hour)

With all the dives in place, I powered it on, then pressed the paperclip button. However the restore program cannot see the server.

I pulled the SYS drive and mounted it on a windows 7 box. I have it doing a checkdisk now to make sure its ok.

At least I can see all my data on the disks!

europaxs