RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
19marek19

ESXI 6.7 on HP Microserver Gen8

sorted

Download te file and place it on a local datastore. 

You need to create an account on myvmware.com to download the file via this link. Search for update-from-esxi6.7-6.7_update01

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/patch#search

Follow instructions here:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2008939

Edited by sorted

AlexM

Hi,

The way I’ve alway upgraded in the past is downloading the HPE .iso and putting in on a USB stick using Rufus, boot the Gen8 up and chose ‘Upgrade’. Am I right in saying 6.7 will no longer boot on Gen8 devices?

So do you upgrade using this method?:

https://trainingrevolution.wordpress.com/2018/05/31/upgrade-hp-oem-esxi-6-5-to-6-7-via-command-line-without-vcenter/ (using 6.7u1)

Is there any point in using the standard (i.e not HP) vmware 6.7 install?

Or am I better off sticking with 6.5u2?

thanks,

Alex

AlexM

An error right away...

[root@vmware:/vmfs/volumes/54c7d16f-f495f503-0671-3464a99a9ca0] esxcli software vib update -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/patches/VMware-ESXi-6.7.0-Update1-10302608-HPE-Gen9plus-670.U1
.10.3.5.12-Oct2018-depot.zip
 [DependencyError]
 VIB VMware_bootbank_esx-base_6.7.0-1.28.10302608 requires esx-update << 6.7.0-1.29, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.
 VIB VMware_bootbank_esx-base_6.7.0-1.28.10302608 requires esx-update >= 6.7.0-1.28, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.
 Please refer to the log file for more details.

maybe I'm better sticking to 6.5U2 😏

AlexM

I managed to update to 6.7 successfully but then I tried to update to 6.7U1 and got the same error 😕

[root@vmware:/vmfs/volumes/54c7d16f-f495f503-0671-3464a99a9ca0/patches] esxcli software vib update -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/patches/VMware-ESXi-6.7.0-Update1-10302608-HPE-Gen9pl
us-670.U1.10.3.5.12-Oct2018-depot.zip
 [DependencyError]
 VIB VMware_bootbank_esx-base_6.7.0-1.28.10302608 requires esx-update << 6.7.0-1.29, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.
 VIB VMware_bootbank_esx-base_6.7.0-1.28.10302608 requires esx-update >= 6.7.0-1.28, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.
 Please refer to the log file for more details.

Edited by AlexM

AlexM

Right... I ended up actually reading @sorted post, and downloaded the patch off vmware.com 

Finally up and running with 6.7U1! 😃

sorted

@AlexM : Sometimes RTFM is the only and last solution. Great it worked out for you. Happy patching it to build 11675023.

• Haha 1

gemz0r

Hi,

@sorted

Or any other expert here..

Please Help me with how tog et ESXi 6.7 on my HP microserver gen 8.
I have looked through this thread many times and attempted many updates.. I never succeeded in the past but now I want to try it one last time.

I have 6.5 U3 HP image on it right now.
I understand how to install it by uploading to datastore and SSH in to do this:
# esxcli software vib update -d PATH/ESXI_Image.zip

But exactly what file needs to be used here? I have tried from normal 6.7 ESXi to the HP gen 9 6.7 files.. But everytime there is some errors.

Could someone tell me exactly what file to choose and I will try again and hope for no errors this time.

Thanks!

sorted
On 3/9/2020 at 12:08 PM, gemz0r said:

Hi,

@sorted

Or any other expert here..

Please Help me with how tog et ESXi 6.7 on my HP microserver gen 8.
I have looked through this thread many times and attempted many updates.. I never succeeded in the past but now I want to try it one last time.

I have 6.5 U3 HP image on it right now.
I understand how to install it by uploading to datastore and SSH in to do this:
# esxcli software vib update -d PATH/ESXI_Image.zip

But exactly what file needs to be used here? I have tried from normal 6.7 ESXi to the HP gen 9 6.7 files.. But everytime there is some errors.

Could someone tell me exactly what file to choose and I will try again and hope for no errors this time.

Thanks!

Hi Gemz0r,

I just did a clean install on the GEN8 with ESXi 7.0. I did have to set the sata controller in AHCI mode instead of Raid mode in the BIOS. Upgrading from 6.7U3 did not work regardless AHCI or RAID mode. You want to go that route instead of sticking with 6.7u3. FYI i installed 6.7U3 using an ISO and ILO remote console rather than via a SSH and esxcli.

randman
On 4/10/2020 at 7:27 AM, sorted said:

Hi Gemz0r,

I just did a clean install on the GEN8 with ESXi 7.0. I did have to set the sata controller in AHCI mode instead of Raid mode in the BIOS. Upgrading from 6.7U3 did not work regardless AHCI or RAID mode. You want to go that route instead of sticking with 6.7u3. FYI i installed 6.7U3 using an ISO and ILO remote console rather than via a SSH and esxcli.

Did you use ESXi 7.0 from VMWare directly, or HPE's customized ESXi 7.0 image?

sorted

@randmanI always use the HPE when available.