RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
19marek19

ESXI 6.7 on HP Microserver Gen8

psykix

Did you ever work out the best driver for 6.7?

sorted

The correct (old) SCSI-HPVSA vib is installed. 5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820. Now i wonder if it did not overwrite the older vib during upgrade or that HP now included the old driver in ESXi 6.7. So the performace issues on my SDD has to come from somewhere else.

Zero-C001
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

Anyone could get driver ESXI work with good speed SSD?

I already tried to disable vmw-ahci, but write speed no more than 200 MB\s,

I already tried to using b120i on hpvsa.88 but write speed no more than 150 MB\s.

SSD - samsung 850 pro (256gb). 

What else can I try?

P.S. read speed is real for this ssd.

Edited by Zero-C001

psykix

I've just revisited this setup..

Clean install, started with 6.5U1, and then upgraded to 6.7 using offline.

I had to disable vmw-ahci, I also installed the older vib since there didn't appear to be any driver installed.

The drives (4TB) did not show up as the correct size for some reason, so I had to attach them to a SATA controller instead of a SCSI controller and now all is fine and running just great!

psykix

6.7U1 is released. Think the issue persists though from first play around with it.

randman

Some questions:

1. Use HPE's ESXi custom .zip file or their .iso file?

In some earlier posts, folks mentioned that they used the "offline upgrade" method. By "offline upgrade" method, do you mean downloading the HPE customized ESXi zip file, then ftp the zip to your ESXi server, followed by running "esxcli software vib update -d <zip file>"?

I've done this in the past. But another method I've done in the past is to download the .iso file, and then mount the .iso via iLO->Remote Console=>Remote Console->Virtual Drives->Image File CD/DVD-ROM->Select iso. Then, I reboot the server with the iso, and then upgrade. Any difference between these 2 methods?

2. My MicroServer Gen8 has the HP P222 controller card, which I use for my server's SSD and HDDs. I don't use the built-in b140 interface. If so, do I have to worry about any slow performance or vmw-ahci issues that were mentioned earlier in the post?

3. So, HPE just released ESXi 6.7 U1 for Gen9 and later servers. Have other folks upgraded to it yet? I'm currently on 6.5 U2, and thinking about upgrading to 6.7 U1.

Regards.

Lagus

I'm on 6.7 (offline bundle upgrade from officially supported ISO install).

Anyone tried 6.7 U1 yet and can confirm it working? (I assume offline bundle upgrade with HPE image/zip?)

Please let us know if you took the plunge and upgraded already! :)

sorted

I'm running 6.7 U1 without any errors. Used underlying commands via SSH to host.

1514710404_2018-11-1917_42_17-esxigen8.local-VMwareESXi.png.a2d1df39e4405daeef15fae1f947d4c9.png

1) esxcli network firewall ruleset set -e true -r httpClient
2) esxcli software profile update -p ESXi-6.7.0-20181002001-standard \d https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml
3) esxcli network firewall ruleset set -e false -r httpClient

Reboot

Note: Build number after U1 is actually 10302608! Above build 10764712 is with critical update ESXi-6.7.0-20181104001-standard.

Edited by sorted
  • Like 1