RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Which PCi Card to add HDD

wolf69

Hi,

I'm a proud owner of a Gen8 since a couple of months.

I have installed 4 HDD and i boot from a SSD into OMV. I use my Gen8 as media center that download and backup my files using RAID.

I also have a new CPU on the way and was looking at RAM (but a bit later).

For now the question is about to add more HDD in this small case, i have saw the solution to add a metal braket to screw two 2.5" HDD, however since they are more expensive i would like to add two 3.5" HDD.

My idea would be to move my SDD to the side and remove/modify the DVD/SS ODB (is that the name? i mean the large braket on top) and install my two HDD here as i have already saw it on google (i assume image where from here).

So my question is which PCi card should i buy to install my 2 HDD? i have read they are differences with chipset manufacturer and of course PCi speed (x1 x2...).

Most of the post i have encountered are from years ago some of the PCi are now rare/expensive and i think i could find better for cheaper price (i assume).

So someone could help me and point me in the right direction?

thank you!

Thanks for your answer, How are you transfer speed with this?

I read somewhere that Pci 2x maybe weren't enough to fully support 2 HDD.

I have seen that for exemple:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raid-Controller-sas9217-4i4e-SAS-SATA-6Gbit-S-HP-725904-001-Storage-Option/253544605046?hash=item3b086fa576:g:~LEAAOSwk6ZZqBWc

Edited by wolf69

If you are using OMV an LSI based card setup for JBOD would be my choice. It would require major modification to get one 3.5 to fit. Have you looked at external solutions?

If JBOD is not necessary and i like fragment my HDD by usage?

Modification would be on the bracket of the Pci card or also on the card it self?

No yet look at external solution, i have that people talk about an IcyCube to hold 4HDD but cost ~200€.

I also have been confused about the ability to install two more 3.5" HDD, i saw something about switching the ODB by 2 HDD but it was on a NL40 :wacko:

The card would not require modification, I was referring to your comment on modifying the odd bay. The N36l-N40l-N54l can fit two 3.5 drives in the ODD bay. External solutions are available from Sans Digital and Silverstone they come with a SFF-8088 connection. They are around $200.

• Like 1

OK thanks for the clarification.

What external solution would you recommend?

External solution can evolve i get that but what other advantage?

I just remember that i had an external 2.5" HDD and i went to see its price and it really decreased and i think you can't really find a better price on OEM 2.5" HDD right?

https://www.amazon.fr/Seagate-Backup-disque-externe-portable/dp/B01127CY26/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1524161769&sr=8-4&keywords=Seagate+Backup+Plus+Slim

So maybe i should buy your bracket install two 2.5" drive and buy a Pci Express card? but then which one?

What size drives are in your server currently?

Seagate 4TB 2.5" drives can be found for $75, but their performance is not great.

The Seagate 5TB 2.5" drives are good performance, but they are $129.

4x 6TB

In Europe Seagate 5TB are around 200$...So my solution to extract the HDD from the ertenal drive should be a cheaper solution.

So what PCi card would you recommend me? any links? Did my link from ebay seems ok?

A SAS9217 4i-4e would be a good card.
For the four 6TB drives you currently have are they used as individual drives or are they combined in a RAID array?