RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

C Drive in PC is Full - SSD)

JediTim

I have a 60Gb Vertex 2 which is now showing as full. I tried offloading some programs and data but it is still full again after 2 days. I also have a 120GB Vertex for photos and a 750Gb HHD for Videos. I use a WHS for most of my storage.

I would like to get a new Vertex 2 120Gb drive to use for my C Drive but do not necessarily want to reinstall everything again. Can I clone the 60Gb SSD to the new 120Gb SSD and then use this as my C drive? What should I use? Do you know if it can be performed in WHS?

Thanks, Tim

Absolutely, you can clone the 60 gig. Use Acronis or just do a restore from Whs. You might want to look at what is filling the drive. Is it things you are installing or is it just growing? Did you disable indexing and temp locations as well as your explorer internet files? It should stay the same if you have configured your drive correctly.

I have a 60Gb Vertex 2 which is now showing as full. I tried offloading some programs and data but it is still full again after 2 days. I also have a 120GB Vertex for photos and a 750Gb HHD for Videos. I use a WHS for most of my storage.

I would like to get a new Vertex 2 120Gb drive to use for my C Drive but do not necessarily want to reinstall everything again. Can I clone the 60Gb SSD to the new 120Gb SSD and then use this as my C drive? What should I use? Do you know if it can be performed in WHS?

Thanks, Tim

I'm running an OCZ 60Gib drive as my system drive and I have many programs loaded onto it and still have 22 gig free. I'm assuming that you also have included a SATA HDD for your data files etc. The best set-up I have found is described in the following link.

http://www.overclock.net/ssd/664738-how-setup-ssd-boot-drive-secondary.html

Be careful to follow the instructions exactly though or your system may not work correctly. I have used this for a number of builds and never had a problem.

Good Luck.

I'm running an OCZ 60Gib drive as my system drive and I have many programs loaded onto it and still have 22 gig free. I'm assuming that you also have included a SATA HDD for your data files etc. The best set-up I have found is described in the following link.

http://www.overclock.net/ssd/664738-how-setup-ssd-boot-drive-secondary.html

Be careful to follow the instructions exactly though or your system may not work correctly. I have used this for a number of builds and never had a problem.

Good Luck.

I'd hesitate to do something like that. That's alot of changing how Windows operates.

Thanks for everyone's input. I ended up getting Acronis for $34 and cloning the main drive, the Vertex 2 60GB to a Vertex 2 120GB. Everything is working fine once again.

Tim

I'd hesitate to do something like that. That's alot of changing how Windows operates.

There's actually Group Policy options to do atleast most of that redirecting, but still that's just begging for trouble.

You will run into all sorts of strange errors and problems, and good luck trying to get any support from microsoft, after you tell them you've gone and meddled about in the registry and moved the system directories around :)