RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 10 install issues

doctorjuggles

Hi all - hoping someone far better than me can help me with this.

I have an HP Proliant Gen8 Microserver which worked just fine until I plugged in a drive which it wouldn't read as 8tb because the previous one was 4tb and raid wouldn't recognise the additional capacity.
One thing led to another and before I knew it, I'd flattened the whole drive and started reinstalling. No biggie, surely?

But as it turns out, the only way to get it installed on the SSD (which is modded into the case using the power and sata for the optical drives) was to disable all 4 of the storage drives, otherwise it would just not install at all. I would just get a "we couldn't install windows in the location you chose" error, or "windows cannot be installed to this disk" and a variation of those themes. Looking online, several people said removing all other media/drives would help.

That's worked, but now if I try to reinsert all the storage drives, I get another boot error, this time a "non-system disk or disk error". Looked online and all the solutions don't work (the drive is fine, checked SATA cables etc). I have a feeling it's something to do with the boot order of the drives, but my BIOS doesn't allow me to change HDD order, only general (ie USB/Optical/Network etc). If the other drives aren't there, it boots perfectly so it's obviously not an issue with the drive, it's literally a "clash" when I have other drives installed.

Oddly - once I log in, I can then insert the HDDs and rescan disks in disk management, and they'll show up perfectly well once that's happened.

But obviously that's not a long-term/optimal solution.

Anyone encountered something similar?

In AHCI mode you can only boot from the 5th SATA port if no drives are in the front bays. To boot from the SSD on the 5th SATA port you need use the B120i controller. Set the SSD to an individual RAID0. How did you have RAID configured on the other four drives prior to the drive issue you had?

• Thanks 1

In AHCI mode you can only boot from the 5th SATA port if no drives are in the front bays. To boot from the SSD on the 5th SATA port you need use the B120i controller. Set the SSD to an individual RAID0. How did you have RAID configured on the other four drives prior to the drive issue you had?

Thanks for the advice, schoondoggy.

I had a RAID0 setup, but adding 8tb drives where 4tb drives once lived ruined the array and after trying many ways to update it (including accidentally wiping an entire drive) I ended up just deciding to flatten and reinstall

However, during a reset of the server, my Intelligent Provisioning software seems to have become corrupted, so booting to Intelligent Provisioning sets the server into a reboot loop. I need to find a way to reinstall Intelligent Provisioning, as there doesn't seem to be another way to set up a RAID array on the server.

I think I'm on the very edge of my server knowledge and close to accidentally screwing up the whole thing! If I try and insert drives with data already on them, it always wipes them. I need to be very careful here :lol:

Not sure if this will work ...

... but I never use the full Intelligent Provisioning suite.

As the system boots let the sequence continue until it arrives at Disk Administrator.

There set up your RAID levels ... and reboot.

Now with your USB drive containing Windows (and not forgetting the B120i driver) in a USB 2.0 port ...

... start Windows install, exercise the 'Load Driver' option to inject the B120i driver ...

... and now Windows should offer you a choice of install locations according to your disk layout.

None of this is working.

Disk administrator won't load. It just reboots and reboots.

If I try to use the "load driver" option to inject the B120i, it just won't load W10 onto the drive. It says it cannot install on that drive (even though it has before a couple of years back) and posts an unhelpful message to consult the setup files. Somehow it also only recognises it as a 111gb drive even though it's a 256gb, so should be recognised as 238gb or whatever.

It also recognises one of the 8tb drives as a 4tb drive, even tough iLO picks up that it's an 8tb

I'm worried I've bricked the whole thing :(

Thanks for everyone trying to help though

Edited by doctorjuggles

What driver are you trying to use?

Do you have a clean backup of your data?

I'm not sure how to tell, but the installer package when I open it on my main rig says software version 62.16.0.64. Not idea if that helps.

I have a formatted 256gb DDS and two formatted 8TB drives installed - my data is currently in my main rig waiting to copy over, so I'm not at risk of data loss at the moment

I would:
1. Confirm BIOS and all firmware are up to day
2. Confirm both USB drives are in USB 2.0 ports
3. Remove 8TB drives. Have SSD as only drive during OS install
4. Confirm B120i is enabled in BIOS
5. During boot enter SSA and configure SSD on port5 as an individual RAID0.
6. Install OS and update OS.
7. Once OS drive is stable, install and configure the 8TB drives.

I would:
1. Confirm BIOS and all firmware are up to day
2. Confirm both USB drives are in USB 2.0 ports
3. Remove 8TB drives. Have SSD as only drive during OS install
4. Confirm B120i is enabled in BIOS
5. During boot enter SSA and configure SSD on port5 as an individual RAID0.
6. Install OS and update OS.
7. Once OS drive is stable, install and configure the 8TB drives.

Thanks. I have a feeling there's a problem with point 1 and that's what is stopping me from being able to enter point 5 at all (selecting SSA just reboots) and I've used the links in the main thread (https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/) but they're dead links now, so I've had to use what I think might be the correct ones. I also need to find a source to download and reinstall SSA, I think. I've set aside tomorrow to do all of this so I'll report back, but I appreciate everyone trying to help, thank you!!

Right, so I got this working and the method still confuses me. Took me hours and hours, but eventually instead of using USB 2.0 as the boot/install drive, I used an SD card. Worked immediately. 

I'm grateful to everyone for trying to help, really I am! Thanks all.

And if anyone can explain why it wouldn't install to an SSD from USB (I wasn't using the USB 3.0 ports) I'm all ears!

Thanks again!