RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
adih2001

HP ProLiant ML10 v2 CPU upgrade

insevin
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, scottavery said:

Its been 8 months, did you sort out your issue with throttling?

Yes and no. On Intel XTU, I increase my current limit to a pretty high level. The throttle goes away and I can use part of the turbo boost. I am not sure that's it is safe but I have been doing it almost daily for months.

Increase limits:

Power to 95W (may be unimportant)

Current to 200A

I do this in the profile manager, then apply the profile. Its saved for each login/power cycle.

Results in core max of 4.19GHz (Turbo Boost)

I don't know why it doesn't go to max potential of about 4.4GHz (I think) but this boost is better than nothing.

Note without this adjustment, I DO get the normal 4.0GHz. I get throttled for the few tenths of the boost it attempts under default settings. If I turn OFF turboboost in BIOS then the throttling basically never happens. 4.0 all the time.

Edited by insevin

scottavery
1 hour ago, insevin said:

Yes and no. On Intel XTU, I increase my current limit to a pretty high level. The throttle goes away and I can use part of the turbo boost. I am not sure that's it is safe but I have been doing it almost daily for months.

On a ML10 v2?  I checked the Intel Ark and it says that that chip does not support ECC memory, so it should be incompatible.

insevin
1 minute ago, scottavery said:

On a ML10 v2?  I checked the Intel Ark and it says that that chip does not support ECC memory, so it should be incompatible.

It works.

scottavery
9 hours ago, insevin said:

It works.

I guess it drops the parity bit?  Or do you not have ECC memory installed at all?

insevin
2 hours ago, scottavery said:

I guess it drops the parity bit?  Or do you not have ECC memory installed at all?

It runs as spec'd. I can't guarantee that the ECC does it's job, but the right memory is utilized at the right frequency. My motherboard forces ECC memory, or else I would get cheaper stuff.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Mark Belanger
      By Mark Belanger
      Greetings,

I'm new to the HPMSG8 world and so far I'm loving it. I have a stock Xeon with 16G of aftermarket memory with iLO patched to 2.70. Next up is adding a RAID card, so I can put my boot SSD on the onboard RAID. I picked up a LSI SAS9211-8i on Amazon, but am struggling to flash it to IT mode on the MicroServer. Is this even possible? Unfortunately, the only other system I have with PCI slots is 32-bit.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-MB
    • Warren89
      By Warren89
      Hello all, i am very new to all of this, i have a ml10 gen 9 with unraid on at the moment but i have used all 4 bays that come with it, can someone help or show me what i need or could doto be able to put more HDD in the system.

At the moment i have one for parity, one for cache and two for storage.

Hope someone can help.
    • Henrik
      By Henrik
      Hi Community,

First, my specs (briefly):
      MicroServer Gen10
      AMD Opteron X3216
      Win Server 2016
      [...]

Problem:
      The Taskmanager shows only 1 CPU-core instead of 2.
      (ref. image 1)

Solutions tried:
      checked msconfig...no CPU-Limit set checked, whether other users see the same amount of CPU-cores in task-manager (ref. image-link (internal) 2)  
      Anyone out there with an idea to solve this?

Greets
      Henrik

• iwilltry
      By iwilltry
      Hi there,
      I hope this topic fits here just right.
      So a few days ago, I moved my Microserver Gen8 to a friend's place and resetted it.
      When we set it up with new disks, the raid-creation in OpenMediaVault (Debian 9.6) failed.
      `smartctl` tests passed just fine though and vendor-tools also didn't report any drive errors.
      What happened?
      - I start the Raid creation via `mdadm` and after a while (random blocks and times), it fails and the second disk seems to fail (e.g. sda and sdb are creating a raid, then sdb gets "kicked out" and reread as e.g. sdd, sometimes even with only a few GB of space instead of 3TB).
      I tried attaching the second disk on ata2 and ata3, but it keeps failing. The one on ata1 works just fine though.
      I tried different disks and vendors, but get the same results.
      There are some errors in `dmesg`, but I don't know what they mean. I pasted them here: https://pastebin.com/raw/XASQJ6cy
      What I did here: I stopped the raid to re-create it, but then didn't do anything for a while and the error still came up.

Can someone help me with this? (As a wild guess, I'd say that somethings wrong with the SATA connections at least on ata2 and ata3).

Thanks in advance
    • Sug7
      By Sug7
      Hi Guys,

New member here, some great info on this forum so hopefully a few of you have experience with the Intel E3-1260L CPU running in a HP Microserver Gen8? 

I know for sure it will work as I’ve seen some good threads on here but can anyone tell me if the upgrade made a noticeable difference in the fan speeds and noise?  

Im looking at putting two Gen8’s in a living room in place of an old N54L so cautious of too much noise..