RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
adih2001

HP ProLiant ML10 v2 CPU upgrade

insevin
5 minutes ago, scottavery said:

Its been 8 months, did you sort out your issue with throttling?

Yes and no. On Intel XTU, I increase my current limit to a pretty high level. The throttle goes away and I can use part of the turbo boost. I am not sure that's it is safe but I have been doing it almost daily for months.

Increase limits:

Power to 95W (may be unimportant)

Current to 200A

I do this in the profile manager, then apply the profile. Its saved for each login/power cycle.

Results in core max of 4.19GHz (Turbo Boost)

I don't know why it doesn't go to max potential of about 4.4GHz (I think) but this boost is better than nothing.

Note without this adjustment, I DO get the normal 4.0GHz. I get throttled for the few tenths of the boost it attempts under default settings. If I turn OFF turboboost in BIOS then the throttling basically never happens. 4.0 all the time.

Edited by insevin

scottavery
1 hour ago, insevin said:

Yes and no. On Intel XTU, I increase my current limit to a pretty high level. The throttle goes away and I can use part of the turbo boost. I am not sure that's it is safe but I have been doing it almost daily for months.

On a ML10 v2?  I checked the Intel Ark and it says that that chip does not support ECC memory, so it should be incompatible.

insevin
1 minute ago, scottavery said:

On a ML10 v2?  I checked the Intel Ark and it says that that chip does not support ECC memory, so it should be incompatible.

It works.

scottavery
9 hours ago, insevin said:

It works.

I guess it drops the parity bit?  Or do you not have ECC memory installed at all?

insevin
2 hours ago, scottavery said:

I guess it drops the parity bit?  Or do you not have ECC memory installed at all?

It runs as spec'd. I can't guarantee that the ECC does it's job, but the right memory is utilized at the right frequency. My motherboard forces ECC memory, or else I would get cheaper stuff.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Taztaztic
      By Taztaztic
      Hi all,

I am new to the server world (please be gentle) and I desperately need some help!

I recently acquired a HP MicroServer Gen8. Bays 1 & 2 have 1TB SSD each and I believe they are setup in a RAID 1 config (not sure how to check) and have windows server 2012 installed.

Bays 3 & 4 are empty and I recently purchased a 4TB WD Blue Hard Drive and managed to install windows 10 onto it via a separate computer.

I've now inserted the 4TB Hard drive into bay 3 and want windows 10 to load up, but its not doing that....it keeps loading up windows server 2012 thats in bays 1/2 hard drives.

How can I choose which bay to boot windows from? I like it to boot from Bay 3 most of the time that has windows 10.

In normal computers, it was simple to organise the boot order via BIOS, but with the Gen8 its seems very complex with HP's own BIOS...etc and it's starting to give me a headache!

Any help from anyone will be really appreciated!

A simple easy to follow instructions will suffice.

• E3000
      By E3000
      Hello all,

A few questions for those who use Type-1 Hypervisors on their Gen8 MicroServers...

I am looking to try ESXi or ProxMox and have been reading a lot of the threads on here.
      Hopefully you guys can help with some harder to find answers I have been seeking.

1) Which would be the better way to setup ProxMox:
           a) Hypervisor on Internal MicroSD, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           b) Hypervisor on Internal USB, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           c) Hypervisor and VMs both installed on same SSD (partitioned?) in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           d) Hypervisor on SSD using a USB-to-SATA cable on Internal USB, VMs installed on separate SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.

2) Would a 128GB SSD be a ‘waste‘ for installing a Hypervisor on? How much space is typically needed?

3) How many VMs have you guys run on a Gen8 comfortably without it being sluggish?

4) Everyone seems to be going RAID crazy these days. Is there any reason to use it if high-availability is not that necessary and a good backup plan is in place? What is wrong with separate disks (or singular Raid0s)?

5) Does using Type-1 Hypervisors have any effect on the internal fans speed/noise? Is it possible to have 3-5 VMs running and still have the fan speed @~8% as it was when I was using 2 nested (Type-2) VMs?

Sorry in advance if some of these questions are silly, common knowledge, or “depends on what you are doing in the VMs!” 😆

Thanks in advance to all those that help!
    • Sokoban
      By Sokoban
      Hi 
      My HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8 won't install HP Tools when I have running HP Smart Update Manager. 
      even when I have trying to install via Intelligent Provising, Windows Server 2019.

Se image below 🙂 That's I missing.. ;-(

• Karazzi
      By Karazzi
      Hi everyone.

New to this forum.
      I have a gen8 microserver running at home, where I have installed an SSD in the ODD sata slot. On the SSD I have installed Ubuntu Server 18.04.
      I have then created a logical volume witht the raid controller and can then boot to the SSD. So far so good.
      My problem emerges when I reboot the system. The logical volume disapears and it gives the error: "boot logical drive is configured but is missing or offline".
      I then have to go into the utility and reconfigure the logical volume. Kind of annoying, when trying to run a headless setup.

• Mark Belanger
      By Mark Belanger
      Greetings,

I'm new to the HPMSG8 world and so far I'm loving it. I have a stock Xeon with 16G of aftermarket memory with iLO patched to 2.70. Next up is adding a RAID card, so I can put my boot SSD on the onboard RAID. I picked up a LSI SAS9211-8i on Amazon, but am struggling to flash it to IT mode on the MicroServer. Is this even possible? Unfortunately, the only other system I have with PCI slots is 32-bit.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-MB