RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
adih2001

HP ProLiant ML10 v2 CPU upgrade

adih2001

Hello! Recently I've been thinking to upgrade the CPU in my HP ProLiant ML10 v2. It currently has a Intel® Pentium® G3240 (I got the model of this server that comes with the Intel® Pentium® G3240) and according to the manual I should be able to upgrade the CPU to a Intel® Xeon® E3-1220v3. Is this true? Do I need to change / get anything else? Thanks.

H00GiE

The HP ML10 v2 has a 1150 socket and a Ml310e g8 v2 heatsink which has support for (but not limited to) the E3 12xx v3 CPUs up to 80W.
The screw-pattern for the heatsink is proprietary,
so you're limited to what CPU is supported by bios and the ammount heat the cooler can dissipate.

As long as you keep the CPU under 80W tdp you don't have to change anything else.
maybe unnecessary to say but do make sure to use quality cooling paste.
I'd not limit to only the officially supported CPUs, but still try to find a chip that's listed (for example on these forums) to be working. ( i don't think my 1270 v3 is officially listed)

Choose the right CPU based on your budget and needs, and if you can get a chip with better base clock for 10$ more, do it... Better have and not need than to need and not have! 
It also boosts the resale value, for when/if you decide to sell.
Servers pretty much only care for base clock speed not so much max turbo.
(and there basically is no overclocking.)

EDIT: The E3 1220 v3 is on sale here for €203, and I bought a E3 1270 v3 for 200 at a server outlet. that's a free 400MHz on all cores baseclock, so searching for deals does pay off.

Edited by H00GiE

JustMe

Hello,

I didn't want to start a new topic with the same title and I have a similar question. I want to replace my Pentium processor with a fast Xeon and I found  many offers on ebay. Between them, 1280 v3 at 82W, 1245 and 1246 v3 at 84W.

They will work in my ML10 v2 without issues or not? I know about the official 80W limit, but I remember someone here saying that he's got a 1280 v3 working. I need a second advice please.

Thank you.

schoondoggy
5 hours ago, JustMe said:

Hello,

I didn't want to start a new topic with the same title and I have a similar question. I want to replace my Pentium processor with a fast Xeon and I found  many offers on ebay. Between them, 1280 v3 at 82W, 1245 and 1246 v3 at 84W.

They will work in my ML10 v2 without issues or not? I know about the official 80W limit, but I remember someone here saying that he's got a 1280 v3 working. I need a second advice please.

Thank you.

Those CPU should work. The wattage rating is close. You may have to increase fan speed to keep it cool.

gibster

I'd installed an Intel Xeon® CPU E3-1265L v3 45W processor in mine and never had an issue.

JustMe
9 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Those CPU should work. The wattage rating is close. You may have to increase fan speed to keep it cool.

Thank you very much, now I can choose one according to my budget. There are really a lot of offers on ebay. 

insevin

I upgraded as well. I have current throttling when running i7-4790k on default, stock settings. Is there a way to know what the current limit is or adjust BIOS to avoid throttling, assuming it is safe? I'm using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to monitor the CPU's condition.