RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 (J06) Server BIOS 2018.01.22 (5 Mar 2018)

AnthonyB

New BIOS for Gen 8 Server now available that resolves Spectre vulnerability. My server is out of warranty. Anyone able to download and share?

** CRITICAL ** Online ROM Flash Component for Windows x64 - HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 (J06) Servers

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5390291&swItemId=MTX_13916b9b87d642bc91029439b8&swEnvOid=4184

Version:2018.01.22 (5 Mar 2018)

Fixes

Upgrade Requirement:
Critical - HPE requires users update to this version immediately.

Important Notes:

This revision of the System ROM includes the latest revision of the Intel microcode which, in combination with operating system updates, provides mitigation for Variant 2 of the Side Channel Analysis vulnerability, also known as Spectre. The revision of the microcode included in this System ROM does NOT have issues with more frequent reboots and unpredictable system behavior which impacted the previous Intel microcode which was part of the Spectre Variant 2 mitigation. Additional information is available from Intel’s Security Exploit Newsroom, https://newsroom.intel.com/press-kits/security-exploits-intel-products/.

Firmware Dependencies:

None

Problems Fixed:

Updated the Intel processor microcode to the latest version.

Known Issues:

None

Hi, I found two HPE links.

Thanks Claudio, I already know where to get it. The problem is that HPE doesn't let you download certain files, e.g. BIOS, if your warranty has expired and you don't have an active support contract.

That said, I made the fatal mistake of not actually trying to download first.. it seems to have let me download!?!?!

Have HPE actually done the right thing here and lifted their "must have support entitlement" for this due to the Intel vulnerability being such a broad and public issue?

Thanks Claudio, I already know where to get it. The problem is that HPE doesn't let you download certain files, e.g. BIOS, if your warranty has expired and you don't have an active support contract.

That said, I made the fatal mistake of not actually trying to download first.. it seems to have let me download!?!?!

Have HPE actually done the right thing here and lifted their "must have support entitlement" for this due to the Intel vulnerability being such a broad and public issue?

For this particular update the rule "you should have valid support contract" is not applied. You can freely download and apply this update. I've already done it. This exclusion from the rules has beeen announced somewhere in HPE site.

Edited by netware5
  • Like 1