RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
schoondoggy

Review of Icy Dock ToughArmor MB411SPO-2B 5-7mm 2.5" SSD / HDD Hot-Swap SATA Mobile Rack for 9.5mm Ultra Slim CD/DVD-ROM Optical Bay

schoondoggy

20180401_171824_HDR.jpgI have been looking for a workable solution for moving large files from a HPE MicroServer to other servers in various locations. These files are a bit large for cloud upload and distribution. A quick look around Icy Dock I found the MB411SPO-2B. The MB411SPO-2B is a 5-7mm 2.5" SSD / HDD Hot-Swap SATA Mobile Rack for 9.5mm Ultra Slim CD/DVD-ROM Optical bays.

https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=252

The MB411SPO-2B swappable tray accepts 5 or 7mm SSD or HDD. For testing here I am using a 960GB SanDisk CloudSpeed ECO.

20180401_172055_HDR.jpg

As with other Icy Dock product build quality is very good. All screw holes are the same as a 9.5mm ODD. The data and power connections are slimline SATA.

20180401_172523.jpg

The MB411SPO-2B fit perfectly.

20180401_172903_HDR.jpg

Like all slimline ODD, the MB411SPO-2B uses slimline SATA connects. Many cable companies confuse slimline with mSATA connections. I used two different slimline adapters to provide power and data connection:

Startech SLSATAF12

Startech SLSATAADAP

slim cable.jpg

slim.jpg

Bad picture, but perfect fit in the MicroServer Gen8. I do not currently have a MicroServer Gen10 to test in, but I see no reason why it would not work.

20180401_174250.jpg

I always compare performance between direct SATA connection and installed in the Icy Dock. Performance is very similar in or out of the bay:

cloud ssd direct.PNG

cloud drive in 9.5 swap.PNG

The trays from the MB411SPO-2B are also swappable with theToughArmor MB993SK-B:

https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=220

One of the applications for this solution is a friends band. They record a lot, MS Gen8 in studio, and each of the band members takes a copy home every night. They will use MB993SK-B in their home computers and swap drives to bring home new tracks. They have used USB drives in the past, but the fail rate was high on USB. Hot swappable SATA should provide a more reliable connection and consistant performance.

The MB411SPO-2B is a great add on for any application that requires a swappable SATA drive in a system that only has a 9.5mm ODD slot available. The MB411SPO-2B is a very nice option for HPE MicroServers. 

• Like 1

schoondoggy

The MB411SPO-2B fits in the MicroServer Gen10 as well:

20180917_191027_HDR.jpg

JackoUK

Having filled up my GEN8 microserver with data I am now starting to feel the limitation of the first disk constrained to 2TB by BIOS ...

… so like many on this forum I want to use the ODD SATA port to connect an OS drive, freeing up all 4 main drive bays for arbitrarily large HDD's.

Unlike SD's friend I only want a boot drive and unlike others on this forum the server only does storage so I don't need an SSD for VM speed or any performance scenario.

I've fitted a 2TB 7mm disk so that I will be able to expand up to:

2TB (nearly) remaining space after OS install

4x8TB in the main bays

2x8TB on the rear USB 3 ports

for 50TB in total.

The ICYDOCK cage couldn't be a better fit.

But SD's connectors don't work for me.

The Startech SLSATAF12 connector fits the ICYDOCK rear conectors exactly, the red SATA cable is a (slightly tight) fit to the 5th motherboard SATA port ...

… but the small floppy power connector on the GEN8 is nothing like the 2-pin MOLEX.

And I can see no way to use the Startech SLSATAADAP.

Since the next mistake SD makes with connectors will be the first- what am I missing?

Looks to me like I need one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Adapter-internal-floppy-female-to-Molex-4-Pin-male-6cm/362207420398?epid=21012689759&hash=item54553e9fee:g:-foAAOSwO7VaUx3m:rk:9:pf:0

… or a different version of the SLSATAF12.

schoondoggy
1 hour ago, JackoUK said:

Having filled up my GEN8 microserver with data I am now starting to feel the limitation of the first disk constrained to 2TB by BIOS ...

… so like many on this forum I want to use the ODD SATA port to connect an OS drive, freeing up all 4 main drive bays for arbitrarily large HDD's.

Unlike SD's friend I only want a boot drive and unlike others on this forum the server only does storage so I don't need an SSD for VM speed or any performance scenario.

I've fitted a 2TB 7mm disk so that I will be able to expand up to:

2TB (nearly) remaining space after OS install

4x8TB in the main bays

2x8TB on the rear USB 3 ports

for 50TB in total.

The ICYDOCK cage couldn't be a better fit.

But SD's connectors don't work for me.

The Startech SLSATAF12 connector fits the ICYDOCK rear conectors exactly, the red SATA cable is a (slightly tight) fit to the 5th motherboard SATA port ...

… but the small floppy power connector on the GEN8 is nothing like the 2-pin MOLEX.

And I can see no way to use the Startech SLSATAADAP.

Since the next mistake SD makes with connectors will be the first- what am I missing?

Looks to me like I need one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Adapter-internal-floppy-female-to-Molex-4-Pin-male-6cm/362207420398?epid=21012689759&hash=item54553e9fee:g:-foAAOSwO7VaUx3m:rk:9:pf:0

… or a different version of the SLSATAF12.

Sorry, I should have include power connection info in the original

For the Startech SLSATAF12 I ran power from a molex Y connector I installed at the power union under the ODD bay.

For the Startech SLSATAADAP I used a regular SATA cable for data and one of these for power:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pin-Floppy-Disk-Drive-to-15-Pin-SATA-Power-Cable-Dell-MX714-Compatible/291282226900?epid=1345420050&hash=item43d1c60ed4:g:02MAAOSwajVUUqCw:rk:1:pf:0