RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup type

Doktor

The technical name is "one occurrence backup". Translated, they only backup one occurrence of a given file and if it changes, it gets backed up. Kind of a hybrid incremental.

The "images" that are stored are complete backups. Meaning that you can restore any given day's backup and it will be a complete backup. The actual backup process could be thought of as incremental as it only copies new/changed files to the server.

I think the correct term is "differential". If the built-in backup scheme follows protocol, the daily backups are replaced by a weekly, and the weekly backups are replaced by a monthly backup. You can easily change the retention period for any backup.

I think the correct term is "differential". If the built-in backup scheme follows protocol, the daily backups are replaced by a weekly, and the weekly backups are replaced by a monthly backup. You can easily change the retention period for any backup.

Yeah, I have mine set to keep 8 daily and 5 weekly backups.

Yes you can. What the backup cleanup does is basically look at each file that is there and determines if that files is used in any backups that are to be kept. If not, it then deletes it.

PS, stay tuned for a post on the blog in a couple days that will answer all your questions. B)