RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
korso

1220L Xeon Upgrade

korso

Dear HomeServerShow:

I just upgraded my CPU from a 1610T to a 1220L. All is going well, but I noticed fan speed has increase from like 10-14% to 14%-18%. I am wondering if someone else who upgraded is seeing the same just to rule out that I applied thermal paste wrong, screwed up heatsink install or something like that. I was expecting more or less (or even lower) fan speed as this CPU has a TDP of 20W, and the 1610T had 35W.

Thanks a lot!

schoondoggy

What else is in the server, drives and add in cards? What is the cooling profile set to in the BIOS? Do you have the latest BIOS and firmware installed?

korso

What else is in the server, drives and add in cards? What is the cooling profile set to in the BIOS? Do you have the latest BIOS and firmware installed?

Exactly the same config as before. 2 WD 4 TB drives and no addin cards. Seems from what I was reading that a lower TDP doesn't directly correlate to lower temps but I was still wondering how the other people who this did upgrade were faring.  Also, I believe that the fact that this CPU has turbo boost and the celeron doesn't is also a factor to consider, as this CPU can run at higher frequencies even if its TDP is lower.

Anyway, if someone who has this CPU can write how his temps / cpu speed are would be awesome! :)

Edited by korso

netware5

Please post what is the version of your BIOS.

korso

Please post what is the version of your BIOS.

These are my firmware levels:

HPE Ethernet 1Gb 2-port 332i Adapter #2 20.6.41 Embedded
iLO 2.54 Jun 15 2017 System Board
Intelligent Platform Abstraction Data 0.00 System Board
Intelligent Provisioning 1.62.14 System Board
Redundant System ROM J06 07/16/2015 System Board
Server Platform Services (SPS) Firmware 2.2.0.31.2 System Board
System Programmable Logic Device Version 0x06 System Board
System ROM J06 11/02/2015 System Board
System ROM Bootblock 02/04/2012 System Board

netware5

You should update your System ROM.  Here you may find the reason:

:

Version:2015.11.02(A) (24 Oct 2016)

Enhancements/New Features:

Added support for Intel Xeon E3-1220 v2 processors. Previous revisions of the System ROM should NOT be used with this processor as they did not support an appropriate thermal solution for it.

korso

Mmm, but does this apply to 1220L (non v2) as well?

Also weird that I have that ROM version, i was almost sure i updated using the latest SP iso :( Will need to check again

Edited by korso

netware5

You should update your System ROM.  Here you may find the reason:

:

Version:2015.11.02(A) (24 Oct 2016)

Enhancements/New Features:

Added support for Intel Xeon E3-1220 v2 processors. Previous revisions of the System ROM should NOT be used with this processor as they did not support an appropriate thermal solution for it.

Now it is time to upgrade to even newer ROM Version:2018.01.22(A) (22 Mar 2018) which provides microcode fix for Spectre vulnerability :)

Rumburak

2018.01.22(A) - where do we get that file?

korso

2018.01.22(A) - where do we get that file?

In the link that Netware5 provided is the file, i believe at the top.

Now it is time to upgrade to even newer ROM Version:2018.01.22(A) (22 Mar 2018) which provides microcode fix for Spectre vulnerability :)

Yep, i took the chance to upgrade via the ILO interface, and now I am running the latest BIOS. Fan is at 14%, so not too shabby.

System ROM J06 01/22/2018 System Board

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Sug7
      By Sug7
      Hi Guys,

New member here, some great info on this forum so hopefully a few of you have experience with the Intel E3-1260L CPU running in a HP Microserver Gen8? 

I know for sure it will work as I’ve seen some good threads on here but can anyone tell me if the upgrade made a noticeable difference in the fan speeds and noise?  

Im looking at putting two Gen8’s in a living room in place of an old N54L so cautious of too much noise..

• adih2001
      By adih2001
      Hello! Recently I've been thinking to upgrade the CPU in my HP ProLiant ML10 v2. It currently has a Intel® Pentium® G3240 (I got the model of this server that comes with the Intel® Pentium® G3240) and according to the manual I should be able to upgrade the CPU to a Intel® Xeon® E3-1220v3. Is this true? Do I need to change / get anything else? Thanks.
    • Gulftown
      By Gulftown
      After reading a lot of stuff here and there I am planning some sort of investigation... I'd like to make a board adapter to make Microserver work with any 120mm fan (PWM or DC regulated) without problems and failures. I know some members got problems when installed a new fan and tried different connection schematics.

Here's what I'd like to do:

6pin HP connector <-----cable----> adapter board with MCU   -----> 4-pin fan connector (+ 6-pin HP-compliant one for backward compatibility)

Desired functionality of MCU board:
      1. Working rotation detect with any fan based on rpm counter.
      2. MCU-based rotation speed regulation using both PWM and DC modes to allow support for any fan. DC controlled fan low-voltage cutoff detection should be included.
      3. "First-run" mode to check to lowest voltage and detect PWM-DC fan control functionality.

I couldn't find some information:
      1. What 6-pin connector type HP utilyses to allow the board connection to Microserver mobo as I wouldn't like to disassemble the original fan?
      2. Have anyone tried the rotation detect imitation (having a 6-pin custom connector and a potentiometer would let me do that)?
      3. Can you help me to collect some information regarding the issue in this topic to make things easier as I can say there's 5 or 6 topics only on Reset and I also find some info on HP and other related forums?
    • TSa
      By TSa
      Hello!

I made stupid mistake and bought gen10 microserver because it looked nice. 
      Hardware is like this:
      Samsung 850 pro 256 for OS win10 pro
      2x wd red 4tb in SW raid
      1x wd green 3b

It is loud as hell when booting and very irritating after that.
      There is just too much noise from fan for quiet home office.
      Is there anything i can do about it?

Please help my ears bleed!

-TSa
    • Yogen8
      By Yogen8
      Hello everybody,

I bought a HP microserver Gen8 to learn ESX and to host some VM.

This is my initial configuration :
      CPU G1610T Celeron 12Go RAM 1 microSD (ESX) 4 HDD (data) 1 SSD (vm)  
      Really great hardware but I wanted to upgrade it to have more core/thread (and more VM).
      After read many and many post like this :
      https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/6596-hp-microserver-gen8-processor-faq/
      (and many many other )
      I bought a E3-1265L (v1 > the strange and cheaper version ^^) with a TDP at 45W and frequency lower than the v2 (processor base frequency = 2,40GHz instead of 2,50GHz) and my understanding was the difference between the original CPU (TDP = 35W) and the E3-1265L is enough small to avoid thermal problems.
      BUT... (do you expect that ? )
      After many test, I know I have a new heating system in my house...
      Let me explain.
      I made some test with mprime and I found these (relevant) results :

ORIGINAL CPU : CELERON G1610T
      power consumption : arround 52 W
      cooler : CPU fanless and optimal thermal setting in bios
      Zone | T0 | T+30' | T+1H | T+2H | T+4H | =================================================================== CPU | 40°C | 40°C | 40°C | 40°C | 40°C | RAM | 35°C | 44°C | 44°C | 43°C | 42°C | VR P1 Zone | 46°C | 52°C | 52°C | 52°C | 52°C | ===================================================================  
      NEW CPU : E3-1265L (v1)
      power consumption : arround 93 W
      cooler : CPU fan (2 NF-4x10 Noctua added on the cpu heatsink) and maximum thermal setting in bios
      Zone | T0 | T+30' | T+1H | T+2H | T+4H | =================================================================== CPU | 40°C | 53°C | 54°C | 55°C | 54°C | RAM | 35°C | 47°C | 49°C | 55°C | 52°C | VR P1 Zone | 46°C | 58°C | 62°C | 62°C | 61°C | =================================================================== note 1 : with the E3-1265L, all test without cpu fan are aborded after some minute because the cpu was overheated (manually stop over 65°c)
      note 2 : with the E3-1265L and "cpu cooled by Noctua", the microserver is less reactive (ie : iLo need more time to give web gui)

I have some questions :

1) Do you think my results are good ?
      I received the CPU in a very bad package and without anti-static bag. Maybe it doesn't work fine ?

2) Do you know a test to confirm the good preformance of my CPU ?
      I don't know how to benchmark my CPU with similar other configuration

3) Only 10W TDP between Celeron and E3-1265L and too large increase of temperature ? Have-you the same result ?

4) Have you some warning point to share with me ?

5) Today, should we continue to use the B120I instead of AHCI for SATA performance ?

Thank's by advance,