RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Very Slow WHS Computer

walterwood44

The WHS I have been using for several years was a small form factor HP desktop that had poor air circulation causing it to run hot; the HD and CPU temps were higher than I liked to see. That box had a P4 2.93 GHz CPU and 2 GB RAM with a 533 MHz bus.

Because of the heat issue I recently replaced it with a Compaq minitower that has a Pentium Dual E2140 CPU (1.6 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 800 MHz bus and a new 1.5 GB HD. Because this system had a built in 100 megabit NIC and my home network is gigabit, I added a new gigabit NIC. The WHS software was a clean install on the new HD.

I am finding that this new setup is much S L O W E R than my old system. The new system is so much slower that it will not stream MP3 files without pauses and/or stops. It also takes forever to copy files to and from this new server. Sometimes a copy will fail displaying a message that the connection has been lost.

There have been no changes to my network: a Netgear Gigabit switch and a D-Link N router. The computers and server all go through the switch. I have tried different Ethernet cables. I never had these problems with my older WHS system (which is still online but with a different name).

I realize the new CUP is much slower but I suspect that is not the problem. (I do have a P4 2.93 MHz CPU available to swap in if needed.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong with this new server?

Thanks,

Walter

Have you tried pulling up task manager and see it maybe the CPU is maxing our or running out of RAM?

Maybe your problem is that you need more hard drive space. 1.5GB isn't a whole lot :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy with the new year and did not get around to replying to usacomp3k3.

I added another 1TB HD and checked the memory usage. CPU is idling and memory is only about 50% utilized. I also checked the NIC and it shows that is it running at 1GHz. The server is still responding sluggishly. Backups seem to be done OK but accessing the shares is painfully slow. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Walter

I you running anything like Twonky or the built in Windows Media Connect which is in the Console,Setting,Media Sharing. Try turn that off for a 1/2 hour to see if things improve, if they do, then we can talk about issues.

Also since you added a drive, DE might be busy duplication folders. How many TB of files do you have duplication turned on ? How long ago did you add the drive ?

I you running anything like Twonky or the built in Windows Media Connect which is in the Console,Setting,Media Sharing. Try turn that off for a 1/2 hour to see if things improve, if they do, then we can talk about issues.

Also since you added a drive, DE might be busy duplication folders. How mant TB of files do you have duplication turned on ? How long ago did you add the drive ?

Hi Diehard,

Only add-ins are Jungle Disk, Grid Junction and Home Server Smart.

The second hard drive was added about a week ago for a total of 2.27TB with free space of 785GB. Duplication was set for some folders but not all for a total duplicates space of 230GB.

I have considered that something is running hot but I blew out the heat sinks and cleaned the case before installing WHS. Both HDs are running around 95 degrees F. I am not sure about the CPU. Is there some way to measure the CPU temp to see if it is overheating?

Walter

HWMonitor is what I use for temp monitoring. Leave it running on your server desktop to see the min/max over time.

Your new CPU is about twice as powerful as the P4. So it's not that.

I'd RDP in when the server was acting up and bring up Task Manager > Processes and sort by CPU, just to rule that out. If demigrator.exe (duplication) is the problem and your server had finished the main duplicating task (console>Server Storage - check pie chart to get a rough idea), there are ways to suspend demigrator.exe during waking hours and resume it at night while you're sleeping so it stays out of the way.

there are ways to suspend demigrator.exe during waking hours and resume it at night while you're sleeping so it stays out of the way.

Just know that doing so will leave all new/changed data unduplicated until the demigrator runs again.

Correct. And if you decide to rein in demigrator, from what I gathered, it's best to suspend the service. The reason for not stopping it completely is so you won't get Health Notifications. Let me know if you need help setting that up, if that is something you decide to do.

Try removing the Gb Ethernet card and running off of the 10/100 port to rule out a network issue. Had similar problems, and it turned out to be a bad ethernet card.