RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Server 2016: Can't create shared VHD?

canuckcam

Hello, I'm using Windows Server 2016 Standard as a Hyper-V Host for Windows Server 2016 Essentials. I'm trying to create a 4TB disk using the 4x 2TB disks on the B120 as RAID 1. The physical drives are good, and the volume has been created as E:\. I can read and write to it. BUT. When I go about making a VHD for use in the WSE2016 VM, I get the error screen below about not supporting virtual hard disk sharing.

I've tried to recreate the array, re-formatted... everything I can think of. Can someone help as to what I'm missing, or another way to do it? From what I understand, a VHD is preferable to straight passthrough of the device?

5ac1b1bbe4797_ScreenShot2018-04-02at12_01_24AM.png.b4e1834cae48bf08ecd37f4f005f54c2.png

Could you try creating a smaller vdisk? First something smaller like 1 TB just to test. Then 2 TB, then 3 TB.

My very first tought is: not enough space. A 2 TB hdd is really not 2 TB but rather 2 TiB.

Just a thought

Just tried that, nothing works!!! :angry::angry: 

Server Manager>File and Storage Services says the disk is online, I can see it in This PC... I just can't create a VHD?! My next thing is to put them all into individual RAID0 JBOD-type and use Storage Pool and see what happens.

It looks like you can't put a shared vhdx file on local storage. Can you share a folder and host it on that, as smb 3.02 is supported for shared virtual disks.

Why do you need shared drives, can you not just add a standard virtual drive. The error is quite descriptive of the problem.

Ahh thank you for the clarification. Yes, that does work! Welp, I've gone back to the traditional VHD config. I originally wanted a shared VHD thinking that I could share it between the host and VM as it would be mostly security camera recordings.