RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Converged 10G Home Storage Network

schoondoggy

I have upgraded older Dell workstations with non Dell branded parts without issue. I am not sure about a new system like this. Dell or HP workstations that are 2-3 years old, coming off a lease tend to be a good value. If I was looking at something new I think I would look at building something from a ASROCK RACK workstation board. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JackoUK

• Poppapete

• schoondoggy

• nrf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More ideas after further research and some new product announcements.   Just when I became happy with the i5-8400 … I noticed the ‘T’ series processors e.g. i5-8600T. With a lower power cons

Posted Images

schoondoggy

If your systems are close together, 10GbE networking with DCC SFP+ cables can be affordable. Used Mellanox ConnectX3 10GbE go for $25. Used Aruba S2500 switches 48GbE and 4 10GbE SFP+ ports are under $100.  

"I have upgraded older Dell workstations with non Dell branded parts without issue."

Here's what I am (naively) expecting:

- no problem adding consumer grade HDDs

- not sure what will happen If I insert a consumer PCIe adapter and an NVME SSD into a x4 PCIe slot (the machine BIOS supports NVME boot … but will it object to my configuration?). I need to do this to maximise HDD drive bays ...

- … but if I can't get the 'customer upgrade kit' to add HDD bays 5-8 then this really doesn't meet my spec. (I am not expecting to get very far in pointing out to DELL that the common English interpretation of 'customer upgrade kit with SKU XYZ … for installation by the user' on their website is not compatible with 'no we won't sell you the kit'.

"If I was looking at something new I think I would look at building something from a ASROCK RACK workstation board."

I will thanks -I think somebody in asrock IT has forgotten to renew a web certificate for 2019 - the site has been down all this  morning.

I still favour the asrock Fatal1ty Pro 370 Professional Gaming i7 board

- 10GbE

- Thunderbolt header

- 8 SATA ports

... but I see it too is due for replacement.

Must check announcements at CES.

Edited by JackoUK

'If your systems are close together.'

Next to each other in fact.

In the home context I cannot see the need for a 10GbE switch.

Whether it's 4K video editing, live VM failover migration ... or as in my case boredom watching 4TB data restoration ... who needs more than 2 machines with 10GbE? Direct wire them together already (or chain with Thunderbolt).

That's the theory anyways.😉

Edited by JackoUK

Questions for Stablebit Drivepool users employing duplication and the SSD Optimiser:

Duplicated files are written to 'multiple hard drives', says the documentation.

- How many: just 2 … or more as available?

- How does this affect the write and read performance? Twice a slow for writes … and scaling with the dispersion across the multiple disks available?

- If one writes to/ reads from a system which uses the SSD optimiser does the write/read performance stripe across the number of disks in the duplication process?

Joe_Miner

Don't know the answers to your questions but I've been using DrivePool on my WHS2011 machine and have no performance complaints and DrivePool really saved my bacon several times when I went through a series of 3TB HD failures.

22 hours ago, Joe_Miner said:

Don't know the answers to your questions but I've been using DrivePool on my WHS2011 machine and have no performance complaints and DrivePool really saved my bacon several times when I went through a series of 3TB HD failures.

My question is more about performance … but perhaps not detailed enough to elicit a focussed answer.

I'm not worried about availability: having an accessible backup should my main source become unavailable I use that backup during the restoration process.

I am concerned about data degradation, which is why I am considering Storage Spaces and REfS.

My worst failure in 2018 - a loss of 4 disks of varying TB capacity on a Gen8 Microserver which forgot its RAID configuration because I didn't have enough RAM - didn't result in any data loss but took 2/3 weeks to recover therefrom. HDD and network speeds being only 100MBs means that any improvement in this position requires:

- a 10G network

- a 1GBs disk storage system

No good having one without the other!

Since I'm not going to convert to SSD storage everywhere (expensive!) ...

… I am looking at RAID 0 RAID 5, RAID 10, Storage Spaces with REfS, … and my question about Drivepool.

The documentation says duplication involves 'multiple' disks.

So how does write and read performance scale with 2 HDDS, 4 HDDS, 8 HDDS, … ?

• 1 year later...