RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
mskaggs

Trying to recover files

mskaggs

Hi,  

Background: I had a WHS that I used as a backup machine for several PCs in my house. That one finally bit the dust a few years back with hard drive failure. Due to life I didn't rebuild it and when with an NAS for backup. 

As one of my client PC's drive was failing a few years after WHS crashed, I did a local back up of that PC to an external hard drive. I used the "backup" software that was on the PC and thought I saved myself. 

Looking at that backup drive now, I'm seeing what appears to be a backup created by a WHS with references to multiple PCs from my home network. I can't find a restore program that can access those files properly and now I'm wondering if I need to try the WHS client restore app. Unfortunately, I don't have the CD's any more. 

So questions: 
1. Is there a way to positively identify this back up as a WHS style backup? The top level of the drive has a file called QSM_VolumeID and a folder named DE. In the folder named DE are two folders named "folders" and "shares". There's also a file named DEguid. 

2. Is the client recover software from WHS V1 available anywhere for download? 

Any other thoughts, ideas or help would be appreciated. Also, if there's another topic that addresses this, pls point that out as I'm happy to read to save everyone's time. 

Thx,
Mark

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• judgeschambers
      By judgeschambers
      Hello, 

Per my signature, I have WHS 2011 installed on a HP N54L that I built and have had in service since March 2013.  I have a CorsAir  60Gb SSD HD running on SATA #5 with the modded bios to allow  WHIS to install  on this small OS hard drive.
      I have a WD PCI-e USB 3.0 card with a 3 yr old Seagate Backup Plus 2Tb drive connected that WHS places the Server OS backups to. 
      The problems:
      With Windows updates, the 60 gb SSD has only 5 gb space available and I'm getting warnings as such. So, I want to install a new Sandisk 240 gb SSD to replace it.  When I run the WHS Server disk, the restore server OS process either locks up looking for the files on the Seagate usb drive or does not discover the files and the scan just runs and runs.   
      The processes:
      I remove all my storage drives from the N54L four bays.  Swap the old 60gb OS SSD for the new 240 GB SSD Plug in my LG portable DVD drive into the rear USB 2.0 and use it to spin the WHS disc Connect the Seagate Backup Plus USB 3.0 Drive to the N54L (this is where it takes four paths and all fail) (bios is configured prior for proper boot sequence of DVD first, new OS SSD 2nd) Since USB drives are backwards compatible, if it is connected to the N54L 2nd remaining 2.0 USB from boot up (post screen shows the DVD, the new SSD and the Segate USB Drive), I select Restore Files in the back up menu the screen goes black except for the WHS background image. Sits and never resolves.  Or leave the Seagate USB drive unconnected until I get to the Restore Files menu, connect, then select restore files/etc. The  scanning for back  up files dialog runs this time and never finds the files. Only way to get out is to hard reboot the server.  Same as #2 but skip the  initial file search and click advanced. Connect the USB  dirve and then click refresh and nothing shows up. Click scan and it too will run forever and not see the drive with the backup files.  Or resort to installing the PCIe drivers via a thumb drive and then connect the drive to the PCIe USB 3 and it will not recognize it in the list. Click search and it searches without success.   
      I'm thinking I need to transfer the WHS OS Backup files on the Seagate Backup Plus USB drive onto another bare hard drive and insert into one of the N54L HD bays and see if it will then find the backup files. Thus eliminating the whole USB 3/2 interface. 

Thoughts?  
      Thanks in advance. 
    • pointdooly
      By pointdooly
      Only $129 for Dell PowerEdge T20 Intel Pentium G3220 Dual-core Tower Server(w/Free S&H) 

Only $129 = $337.00 - $158.00(Current Promotion Savings) - $50(Coupon)

Coupon Code: "129T20" (Exp Unknown/Soon). + Tax (in most states)

- This system normally sells for $337
      Intel Pentium G3220 3GHz Dual-Core 53W CPU
      4GB DDR3 RAM
      Gigabit Ethernet
      No included Hard Drive
      Mini Tower form factor
      up to 12 USB ports (4x USB 3.0)
      No OS included
      1yr Dell warranty 
    • pointdooly
      By pointdooly
      Only $279 for Dell PowerEdge T20 Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 Quad-Core Tower Server (w/Free S&H)
        Only $279 = $638.00 - $149.00(Current Promotion Savings) - $210(Coupon)   Coupon Code: "279T20" (Exp Unknown/Soon). + Tax (in most states)   - This system normally sells for $489 Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 3.2GHz Quad-Core 84W CPU 4GB DDR3 RAM Gigabit Ethernet 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive DVD Burner Mini Tower form factor up to 12 USB ports (4x USB 3.0) No OS included 1yr Dell warranty
    • HaakonD
      By HaakonD
      Soooo - hello all - I stumbled across your site trying to find a way of using 3gb+ drives in my pair of ageing x510s - currently running WHS v1 and therefore stuck in MBR tedium...

Should I give up and buy some modern hardware or is there a suitable operating system I can install on the x510 to allow GPT and therefore larger disks?

thanks in advance for any insight / advice offered!

Haakon

• rcurry71
      By rcurry71
      I have an old WHS that I haven't used for years, at least 4.  I never put it back to use after we moved in 2011.  I barely knew how to use it back when I was using it. I really liked the drive extender possibilities, even though I never took advantage of it.

Should I take it out of the box and use it, or should I move on to something else? If I should move on, what would be a good option that has drive extender type of capabilities?

Thanks!