RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Trying to recover files

mskaggs

Hi,  

Background: I had a WHS that I used as a backup machine for several PCs in my house. That one finally bit the dust a few years back with hard drive failure. Due to life I didn't rebuild it and when with an NAS for backup. 

As one of my client PC's drive was failing a few years after WHS crashed, I did a local back up of that PC to an external hard drive. I used the "backup" software that was on the PC and thought I saved myself. 

Looking at that backup drive now, I'm seeing what appears to be a backup created by a WHS with references to multiple PCs from my home network. I can't find a restore program that can access those files properly and now I'm wondering if I need to try the WHS client restore app. Unfortunately, I don't have the CD's any more. 

So questions: 
1. Is there a way to positively identify this back up as a WHS style backup? The top level of the drive has a file called QSM_VolumeID and a folder named DE. In the folder named DE are two folders named "folders" and "shares". There's also a file named DEguid. 

2. Is the client recover software from WHS V1 available anywhere for download? 

Any other thoughts, ideas or help would be appreciated. Also, if there's another topic that addresses this, pls point that out as I'm happy to read to save everyone's time. 

Thx,
Mark