RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HarD DrIvE CraZyNesS

c0op3r

I have had this problem with my workstation for a bit, now and just finally got the time to sit down and type up this message to see if the other member here have seen something like this and can help my find the problem and KILLL IT!

My work station consist of:

HP Elite w/ Core i7

8Gig of Ram

ATI/AMD Video card 4650 (I think) Dual DVI out

(2) WD Velociraptors (150gig) in Raid 0

(1) WD Black 500gig as storage disk

All the drives are SATA, as the MB has no legacy ports what so ever, I think the MB is an MSI.

The problem is every so often, the hard drive access (using the Drive Meter gadget) shows massive drive usage, and when this is happening, the machine come to a crawl so much of a crawl that you can click on something and nothing will happen for 10 secs or so.

The machine is about a year old and never did this before, it also started doing this when the machine was not setup in RAID 0 and only had (1) 150gig Velociraptor, so I do not think its related to the RAID configuration.

I am asking this here as we seem to have a pretty good brain trust of information, usage and skill, so if you have any ideas please let me know.

What does the resource monitor show is accessing the drive?

The meter does not show what exactly is being accessed, so I am not sure, but if you tell me what to look for I will give it a try.

Also another note I forgot to put the CPU usage is still only 2 to 3% when this is going on, so I am guessing its pure I/O.

'Resource monitor' - type that into the Start/Search bar and check it out.

OK here is a screen shot of the Resource Monitor when the HD is doing it's Bezerk'er imitation:

ResourceMonitor.jpg

Direct link if you need to see it bigger: Resource Monitor Image

Edited by ZeroHunter

Although it is not obvious by looking at this, one possibility is your antivirus. Are you sure you RAID is not rebuilding periodically? Even though your CPU is only 3%, that is enough to dominate your I/O. Look at that process that is using 3% to see what it is. Just for troubleshooting sakes, disable your AV and see if that helps.

Your IO queue length seems kinda high, but cannot see what is causing it, I would try and see what your anitvirus program is showing as far as scanning an maybe you can find something in the event viewer, a service that is restarting.

Although it is not obvious by looking at this, one possibility is your antivirus. Are you sure you RAID is not rebuilding periodically? Even though your CPU is only 3%, that is enough to dominate your I/O. Look at that process that is using 3% to see what it is. Just for troubleshooting sakes, disable your AV and see if that helps.

I think I can eliminate the Raid rebuilding as it did this even when there was only 1 Velociraptor (no RAID), as to the Anti-Virus I am running Microsoft Security Essentials and nothing else, has anyone else seen abnormally high i/o usage from that?

What do you have your virtual memory set at? Are you using a fixed size, or letting windows manage it? Maybe the trashing is occuring when your page file gets resized by windows... (try switching to a fixed size, probably 8gigs based on your memory...)