RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Outdoor audio video system with TV for Pool House

Dave

I'm in the last phases of building a pool house for our pool and may have underestimated my needs for an audio system.  It has been a long time since I have shopped for an amp or done any audio work so I thought I would run my needs by you guys to see if anyone has done something like this in the past.  Maybe you have some ideas or have run across a box that could help me out.

Setup and Requirements

I have an outdoor TV viewing area that is covered and of course there is also the pool area.  I want two outdoor speakers to be able to play music for pool guests.  At the same time I want guests to sit in the covered area and be able to watch TV, Netflix, ballgame, etc.

I have speaker wire ran already and they terminate to a location that is inside and covered where the box/amplifier will go.  It is on the wall that is the back of the TV so the TV audio out can easily route to the box.

So a box with multiple input sources, discrete output sources like A&B, A+B, easily operated with a remote or could possibly do a Harmony in order to run it all.  Probably will add an Alexa to the mix as well just not sure where to put it. Don't want it outside all the time though.

Regular amplifier with ins and outs?  Specialty box?  Was also wondering if I need a volume control for the pool music so you can operate it while wet and not have to come into the area where the TV is. 

TV

Probably a 50 or 55" LED. Not looking for a specialty outdoor rated.  I'm going to try my luck this first season and leave it outside all swim season and pull it inside for winter. I need a set of nice speakers for it that hang with the TV.  There is no shelf or stand for the TV.  I'm not even sure if that exists or not.

The TV and "box" will have access to Ethernet and Wi-Fi.  Am I missing anything else?  I'm off to start shopping.  Let me know if you have questions for me or any ideas!

schoondoggy

Can you build the TV into a cabinet or does it need to be out in the weather? From what you have shared, I think a home theater receiver could be a good choice. Setup surround sound in the TV area and use a zone on the receiver to drive speakers in the pool area. You may want different sources in each area. There are OK sounding all weather speakers for fair prices. Do you have a place to hide a subwoofer out of the weather?

schoondoggy

Yamaha NS-AW150 or Polk Atrium are good sounding outdoor speakers. Definitive Technology are very nice but expensive.

Dave

Looking at this receiver.  Has Airplay and Alexa interoperability.  Also, looking at boxes that have apps.  That could also be helpful with a dedicated iPad or tablet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZYRWSQY/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

https://hometheaterreview.com/yamaha-aventage-rx-a770-av-receiver-reviewed/

I was almost sold on this receiver, BUT....

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXA770/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-RX-A770.html

"HDMI audio sources and high-res DSD files cannot be output to Zone 2"

Can you build the TV into a cabinet or does it need to be out in the weather? From what you have shared, I think a home theater receiver could be a good choice. Setup surround sound in the TV area and use a zone on the receiver to drive speakers in the pool area. You may want different sources in each area. There are OK sounding all weather speakers for fair prices. Do you have a place to hide a subwoofer out of the weather?

The TV will go on a brick wall.  Not much chance of a cabinet in this area.  I think you are right, a receiver should do well, and that is the route I've headed down.  As stated above I picked a Yamaha but need to find one pretty much like that one but be able to route HDMI audio to Zone 2 if we choose to do so.  I hope that isn't a wish list that can't be fulfilled.

Yes, we will want TV sound in the TV area and some tunes blasting out to the pool and then that once in a while option of having the TV audio go out to the pool area as well.  Music videos, YouTube, sports, etc.  

I have a set of Klipsch picked out for the external speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-AW-650-Indoor-Outdoor-Speaker/dp/B00096ZRJ4/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1522095061&sr=8-33&keywords=outdoor+speakers

Dave

Update:

The Yamaha RXA770 has a mode called Party Mode! So this receiver will work after all. Perfect for what I need.

Party Mode: The Party Mode allows you to enjoy the AV receiver's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2, simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types - analog, digital or wireless). During the party mode, stereo playback is automatically selected for all zones. The Main Zone & Zone 2's volume can be adjusted independently. Utilize this function when you want to play back an audio source as background music in two rooms of your home.

schoondoggy

What are you looking at using for the surround speakers in the TV area?

I love a good two channel stereo setup, but if you are standing too close to the left or right speaker it sounds weird. Many pool area speaker systems get switched to mono. My neighbor did not like the sound he was getting around his pool, so we installed four of these:

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/atrium8-sdi

You get left and right channels on the same speaker, no bad place to listen.

Dave

I've been thinking about that and the space is small so I don't think I need anything special like a 5.1 system.  I was going to do a soundbar and mount it on the TV.  I was originally thinking about doing rear speakers but I think that may be overkill now.  I was going to do the simulated 5.1 or that option that receivers have that sends all sounds to all channels.  Something like that.  

My other worry is that the outdoor pool speakers may defeat any TV sounds due to the close proximity.  I may have to draw it up to show you.  If so I was looking at doing some landscape speakers and maybe one of the "boom tomb" subwoofers that you put in the ground. Certainly more expense with this option.

Soundbar i was looking at.

Soundbar Mount

https://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-Universal-Soundbar-Bracket/dp/B00823170Y

schoondoggy

I think that a soundbar would not last long in the weather.

You mentioned that the TV area is covered. What kind of cover is it?

ShadowPeo

Looking at some Bose 151's and a Sonos connect amp myself if that is any help