Dave

Synology C2 Backup Now Available to US Customers, sort of

Dave

Synology C2 Backup Now Available to US Customers

This is a data backup service that Synology released to EU customers last year.  I remember trying to get it to install and it wouldn't take my CC# because of location.  Fair enough, will it now and how much will it cost?

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 2.22.49 PM.png

Seriously, how much is it?  Ask Google and on March 25th, 2018 it's $14.12.  That's still not a bad price for 100Gb of backup with versioning. Also not bad to consider this as a secondary cloud backup.  (See below for pricing)

One thing to keep in mine this is a service that falls under Hyper Backup and not Cloud Sync.  The two are very different.  This will be a true back with versioning and not a simple synchronization of a folder in a cloud service like dropbox.  Many a mistake have been made with sync pairs and cloud services!  That won't happen with backup and versions.

Enable it and Back Up

In your Synology DSM go to Hyper Backup. Install if you are not using it.  You would also use this app to backup to USB, Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, etc.

Select Synology C2 Cloud Backup.

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 1.50.57 PM.png

That should launch a login portal.  If you have used Synology services before and have a login you can use those credentials or create credentials right here.

Start your free trial for 30 days but prices are still in POUNDS!  That's a pound symbol right?  If it was released to Europe why isn't it in Euros? I'm so confused.    (it is Euro Dave!  I had a brain fart on the Euro symbol.  See response post below.  Embarrassingly laughing at myself on this!)

It's here where it wouldn't let me proceed last time I tried due to it being a limited trial to EU customers only.  You have to put your CC# in to get the 30 day free trial.  It says i'm in the Europe Frankfort market but the purchase went through.  So, does this mean if the US sinks into the Ocean and all my data goes with it, my photos will be in Frankfort safe and sound?  Sweet!

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 2.13.51 PM.png

This is the last web screen I see as it has now taken me back to Hyper Backup.

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 2.15.20 PM.png

I'm going to choose a small amount to get started with.

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 2.16.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 2.17.20 PM.png

I'm also going to limit the bandwidth of the backup and set Client Side encryption.  The encryption password box will allow you to use the Admin account password so you don't forget what you put here unless your Admin password is less than 8 characters.

Once you are finished it will ask you if you want to backup now. I said now just to keep the network clean while I'm working but it will backup tonight.  Look at the screen shot below.  See the little arrow by Synology C2?  That is the link to the web portal.  It would be nice to see Synology integrate this into DSM so there isn't a secondary screen needed.  It would also be nice to have some choice as to where your data is being sent and to be charged a proper amount.  I'm afraid my bank might also charge me a fee for the Pounds to USD conversion.  I'll update the post when I find out.

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 2.29.12 PM.png

Here are the web portal screens below.

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 2.31.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 2.31.14 PM.png

That's it.  It works!

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 2.15.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 1.51.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 2.29.12 PM.png

osquest

Hi Dave, that's the Euro symbol so pricing is in Euros making it even cheaper, $12.43 (per Google at $1.24 per euro) today. Like you, I expect the credit card exchange rate to be different and any credit card foreign exchange fees to be applied.

I set it up a couple days ago and have been backing up. No restores yet. I picked the Tier 1, 1 TB plan. It will do 11 versions over 30 days with the benefit of only the actual space on your Synology is used for calculating usage, so 11 versions of a 1GB file only count as 1GB, not 1.1 TB. The Tier 2 plan allows more flexibility and I really like the flexibility in the Hyper Backup versioning settings. I assume (risky) that the Tier 2 plan (claims flexible versioning) unlocks all these. Of course, in this case, the version count against the storage total, although it claims to do deduping.

Speed wise this seems comparable to other U.S. based services even though the data goes to Germany. I didn't do any real testing, but my conservative estimate is 4GB an hour for cloud services from my house and this is above that, although under 5GB/hr.

I did force one internet outage (router reboot while I slept) during a backup and Hyper Backup stopped updating its status and sat for 8 hours without any error or update. Once I "suspended" and "resumed" it seemed to pick up where it left off. In the past, with other services, HB would generate an error if the internet went down.

Another tidbit, while the Tier 1 plan says "Daily Backup" that appears to be scheduled backups only. I've been able to manually fire off multiple backups in a day.

• Thanks 1

Dave

Ok, now I feel stupid, and I consider myself a world traveller!  Thank you OSQuest.  Excellent follow up with real world use.  I'm not there yet in usage.  I put a pause on the C2 while I figure out a USB issue on backups.  I think I just had a USB drive go bad so I want to get a good local copy as soon as possible.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Ok, now I feel stupid, and I consider myself a world traveller!  Thank you OSQuest.  Excellent follow up with real world use.  I'm not there yet in usage.  I put a pause on the C2 while I figure out a USB issue on backups.  I think I just had a USB drive go bad so I want to get a good local copy as soon as possible.

Sorry but I have to laugh at this. I just assumed you did the Google search just for grins. Thanks for the laugh.

• Like 1

Dave

I did do a Google search but I put in "pounds to USD."  I completely spaced out on the Euro symbol!  Edits are done on the original article to point to OSQuest response.

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• steeve
      By steeve
      History: 
      Currently have N40 which I used to backup my laptop to using Crashplan (as well as to Crashplan cloud), replaced Crashplan with Backblaze when CP removed consumer backup, but BB does not have a local backup.

Current:
      Have a Gen8 which I am in the process of transitioning to and would like to have local/lan backup of my laptop (plus other PCs) to my server.

I have previously tried Cobien, but had issues with it backing up over a network, constant fails.
      Also looked at rsync, but concerned it is very old and unsupported.

Question:
      Can someone recommend software I could run on my laptop to backup to my server, would be ok with software on server to receive backup as well.

Note: I realize this isn't strictly a Gen8 issue, but as this is far and away the most popular forum I thought I'd try my luck here.

Thanks for any help/advice people can offer.
    • lordcroci
      By lordcroci
      Hi there!
      I'm new around here, looked for the presentation thread but haven't found any! 
      Anyway I hope to be able to contribute (as far as my newbie's knowledge will be useful )....

Speaking about what I'm trying to do, I have this amazing microserver gen8, on which I have 2 3tb wd red as storage and an ocz 125gb ssd on 5° port.. Installed a couple of days ago mr. PROXMOX (I'm a complete newbie to it too ) and configured the xpenology 6.0 that runs amazingly!
      Now.. I'm just wondering which is the best option to configure a vpn (possibily openvpn) and from my inexperience I found a couple of options:
      - try a container with turnkey debian 8 OpenVPN
      - install ubuntu on a VM and setup openvpn
      - try the vpn server on xpenology

or the least pleasurable
      - install openvpn on my windows 10 pc and leave it turned on in way to access the microserver through vpn.. 
      What do you think is better to do? Considering that I am a real noob and will need some guide or some tutorial (already googled something and Have found a lot of material on the openvpn site.. but honestly can't find so much about proxmox and vpn)

PS: sorry for my english, but I'm italian and I'm still learning!

thanks a lot!
      Lordcroci
    • cDuck28Z
      By cDuck28Z
      Good evening,

I'm new to the forums, and brand new to servers in general. I recently purchased a used T620 and hope to have win10 installed with a raid 6 array of 5 8TB drives expandable to 8 as required shortly. This machine will be the backbone of a network set up for our squadron for personal use (file sharing, media streaming, etc.). I've mulled over a lot of ideas on how to properly set up the network, but being so new to it all I'm afraid I've fallen short. Here are some of the ideas/requirements I'm hoping for:

1. NAS and file sharing
      2. Controlling/limiting who is logged in, and how many instances of the same login can access the network simultaneously (trying to limit user name and password sharing)
      3. Plex or Kodi media server with streaming
      4. Gaming server for games like WoW or Minecraft
      5. Continuous video recording (security cam for my state room)
      6. Chat client
      7. Console server for xBox, PS4, etc (probably as simple as a LAN thing but worth asking)
      8. Accessing my NAS from the internet one home from deployment like a personal cloud

- For the NAS (1), I would really prefer to be in control of the file structure. Having a directory where others can drop files and folders, but the bulk of the file file structure would be read only for the users and I can place new content accordingly. Additionally, if each person could have their own small (20-50gb) amount of space for personal storage only they could access?
      - Controlling user login - I will be providing most of the hardware, including the server, for the squadron so it would be great to recoup a little bit of that up front cost. My idea was to provide permanent access to the network for $20 (for a 7 month deployment). with an expected 50-70 users, it's not a lot but it can help cover a bit of a multi-thousand machine. To do so, I am interested in limiting each user to one login and it ca only be used one at a time. I know this won't prevent everyone from sharing but hopefully it will encourage individual use. 
      - Plex or Kodi would be a great feature to help with #2 on the list. Plex might get a bit resource intensive but it does look nicer than Kodi IMO. 
      - I like to play Minecraft and thought my friends might enjoy exploring a world together. This one shouldn't be too hard on Win10 to set up. Other games might be more of a challenge but again, just throwing out some possible ideas
      - Personal security camera should also be pretty easy to set up on Win10
      - A chat client would be great because our rooms will probably be pretty far away. Might just be a simple program? I really liked how NextCloud has it built right into their OS, but seeing as how I'm going to be using this as a personal machine as well as a server, I am trying to avoid running a dedicated OS for that reason.
      -I believe the console server can be handled by the individual consoles. 2 or 3 xBox's on the same LAN should see each other without any other hardware?
      -Once we return from deployment, I would like to be able to access my NAS like a cloud server.

The machine that I got is a professional grade server, but hopefully Windows 10 wiill be adequate and robust enough to handle these tasks however. I see advantages to using software like Synology DiskStation Manager, FreeNAS, or NextCloud, but none of these seem perfect for the job, and I still need a windows machine for deployment. Unfortunately, I also don't have the IT background or experience necessary to run a Windows Server 2008 for example, so relying on Windows 10 seems most logical to me. 

I'm looking forward to your suggestions and help!
      Thank you for your time. 
    • ETBrown
      By ETBrown
      I am finally replaced my custom built desktop PC after about 5 years. 

Now that I have a retired computer with a decent pair of video cards I want to dip my toe into cryptocurrency mining.  Although I realize the old equipment won't produce as much per watt as newer graphics cards, I already have 2 HD 7870's that will just collect dust if I don't do something with the system.  There are also a few older components lying around so I've been contemplating repurposing my old computer and components to create computers for the following roles:
      A dedicated storage server that would also host my Plex media server and backup content locally.  (Yes a NAS box could do this, but I already have PC parts and don't want to spend $1k+ on a NAS box that can accomodate all of my 4TB and 6TB drives). A cryptocurrency mining rig A router/firewall replacement  
      I'm new to mining and know that the mining rig needs graphics cards, but how significant of a difference does the CPU make in a mining rig?  I can either use an Intel Core i7-3770K or an Intel Core i3-3250.  The dilemma is that the i7 should be able to transcode roughly twice the number of simultaneous streams (4) that the i3 can transcode (2+) based on the PassMark scores.  I don't want to mine on the same machine as my Plex server since my previous mining attempt created OS stability problems.

Does memory make a large difference in cryptocurrency mining?  I can either use 32 GB of ram or 16GB of ram.

Lastly, would it be better to combine the storage/Plex server and router/firewall roles into a single computer and run each as a VM?  What do others recommend for this? I've heard about Pfsense and watched a few setup videos, but that appears to be designed to run on a dedicated system.

Thank you in advance to those that have constructive feedback for me.
    • judgeschambers
      By judgeschambers
      Hello, 

Per my signature, I have WHS 2011 installed on a HP N54L that I built and have had in service since March 2013.  I have a CorsAir  60Gb SSD HD running on SATA #5 with the modded bios to allow  WHIS to install  on this small OS hard drive.
      I have a WD PCI-e USB 3.0 card with a 3 yr old Seagate Backup Plus 2Tb drive connected that WHS places the Server OS backups to. 
      The problems:
      With Windows updates, the 60 gb SSD has only 5 gb space available and I'm getting warnings as such. So, I want to install a new Sandisk 240 gb SSD to replace it.  When I run the WHS Server disk, the restore server OS process either locks up looking for the files on the Seagate usb drive or does not discover the files and the scan just runs and runs.   
      The processes:
      I remove all my storage drives from the N54L four bays.  Swap the old 60gb OS SSD for the new 240 GB SSD Plug in my LG portable DVD drive into the rear USB 2.0 and use it to spin the WHS disc Connect the Seagate Backup Plus USB 3.0 Drive to the N54L (this is where it takes four paths and all fail) (bios is configured prior for proper boot sequence of DVD first, new OS SSD 2nd) Since USB drives are backwards compatible, if it is connected to the N54L 2nd remaining 2.0 USB from boot up (post screen shows the DVD, the new SSD and the Segate USB Drive), I select Restore Files in the back up menu the screen goes black except for the WHS background image. Sits and never resolves.  Or leave the Seagate USB drive unconnected until I get to the Restore Files menu, connect, then select restore files/etc. The  scanning for back  up files dialog runs this time and never finds the files. Only way to get out is to hard reboot the server.  Same as #2 but skip the  initial file search and click advanced. Connect the USB  dirve and then click refresh and nothing shows up. Click scan and it too will run forever and not see the drive with the backup files.  Or resort to installing the PCIe drivers via a thumb drive and then connect the drive to the PCIe USB 3 and it will not recognize it in the list. Click search and it searches without success.   
      I'm thinking I need to transfer the WHS OS Backup files on the Seagate Backup Plus USB drive onto another bare hard drive and insert into one of the N54L HD bays and see if it will then find the backup files. Thus eliminating the whole USB 3/2 interface. 

Thoughts?  
      Thanks in advance.