RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
  • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• wigster
      By wigster
      Hi,

I just upgraded my laptop to the latest Windows 10 1903 (18362.53) which is in release preview. The following issue may or may not be resulting from that.

My WS2012R2 Essentials server is now reporting this laptop as Offline. On the other hand the connector icon on the laptop is green, I can launch the Dashboard through it, so everything seems to be connected.

More importantly, I now cannot backup this laptop: it tries and complains that it cannot connect to the WS Essentials Client Computer Management Service. I have tried reinstalling the Connector to no avail. It used to work a couple of weeks ago, before this upgrade, but in principle it could have been some other unrelated change.

Does anyone else have a similar problem with Windows 1903? Or is it just me? Is there something I can try? 
    • Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      Dropbox is deprecating  the "free" tier of their storage plans

got an email from them this evening  that "I cannot link any new devices" and the only alternative is to upgrade to a $10/month plan

This is from their forums

"Dropbox device limit
      Dropbox Limits Its Free Accounts To Maximum Of Three Devices. Previously, there was no such limit implemented. According to the Dropbox website, as of March, users of its free Basic tier can add their account to a maximum of three devices. However, if they already had the device linked to more than three devices, then they will continue to function. "
      I don't know how hard and fast this is  -   I tried installing a dropbox instance on my cell phone and couldn't this evening -    I think my main PC

is on the list -   I couldn't find a listing of existing "connected devices"  on my dropbox account.

I don't even know what my other two devices are -   probably long gone  my old windows cell phone for example.

Just as Well -    Dropbox was my main cloud storage about what 10 years ago but with the improvements to OneDrive/Gdrive, and my eventual use of Office 365 storage became kinda moot.   will probably just cancel my account, which is probably what they wanted anyway

what is the old saying  "If you aren't paying for the product, you are the product"    

also   "once bitten twice shy"     Cloud Storage is not a  true  backup  

due to Crashplan's demise,    this winter I backed up all my irreplaceable data  ( family photos, documents)  on   M-Disk archival Blu ray disks.  

I have a copy in my firesafe and at my Brother's house  in another state.   

• JROrtiz
      By JROrtiz
      I've been banging my head for a few days now trying to figure this out and I've run out of ideas. Hoping the very intelligent crew here can help me out.

I have a Drobo 5N and a Synology RS816 on my network, both of which have been working without issue for quite some time now. I've always connected to both via Windows Explorer by simply going to the network address i.e., \\N5 and \\SYN (sample names). 

I recently got a new desktop which is where the issues are coming up. When I try to go to \\N5, it results in a message saying it cannot find that location. However, \\SYN works just fine. What's strange is that I can see and manage the Drobo through the Drobo Dashboard software. What could be preventing Windows from seeing the Drobo on the network? 

I've already enabled the SMB 1.x protocol, ensured the workgroup names are the same, rebooted both the machine and the Drobo, made sure network sharing is enabled, and even did a fresh install to ensure that some program I installed didn't cause the issue. Every other machine I have can access the Drobo without issue. It's just this new desktop, and everything is running Windows 10.

Another strange phenomenon that I discovered is that if I go to "\\DROBO" (verbatim, not a sample name) it leads me to the Synology. Where is Windows getting the mapping from that it is directing that address to the Synology?

This is driving me nuts so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    • Himaro
      By Himaro
      So I'm trying to replace my ageing HP Proliant Microserver N54L. It's used as a general dogs body server, running Blue Iris, Plex and as my NAS server.
      I'm on a pretty tight budget but the poor server is always at 90% + CPU because of the CCTV and I'm looking at adding a second camera soon.
      Is there such a thing as a reasonably priced ECC home server build?
      My MVP is 8GB ECC memory, with 4 threads on the CPU. 
      I'd prefer a small form factor but that's like gold dust unless you throw a lot of $$££€€ at it. I've got to get this past my partner you see 😅
      Any ideas? I'm not loyal to any particular brand, so long as it works.
    • steeve
      By steeve
      History: 
      Currently have N40 which I used to backup my laptop to using Crashplan (as well as to Crashplan cloud), replaced Crashplan with Backblaze when CP removed consumer backup, but BB does not have a local backup.

Current:
      Have a Gen8 which I am in the process of transitioning to and would like to have local/lan backup of my laptop (plus other PCs) to my server.

I have previously tried Cobien, but had issues with it backing up over a network, constant fails.
      Also looked at rsync, but concerned it is very old and unsupported.

Question:
      Can someone recommend software I could run on my laptop to backup to my server, would be ok with software on server to receive backup as well.

Note: I realize this isn't strictly a Gen8 issue, but as this is far and away the most popular forum I thought I'd try my luck here.

Thanks for any help/advice people can offer.