RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
acidzero

HP Microserver Gen8 + HP P410 + ESXi 6.5U1 + VCSA 6.5U1

acidzero

Hello,

So, after several days of testing various different configurations, creating custom ESXi install ISOs and numerous reinstalls, I've managed to get ESXi 6.5U1 installed on my Microserver Gen8 and have working HP Smart Array P410 Health Status showing. For those that are struggling to do the same, firstly here's how. I used original VMWare ESXi 6.5U1 ISO, build 5969303 then made the following modifications:

• Remove driver "ntg3" - If I left this in, I had a weird network issue where Port 1 or 2 would repeatedly connect/drop every few seconds. This forces ESXi to use the working net-tg3 driver
  • Remove driver "nhpsa" - this Smart Storage Array driver is what causes array health monitoring to not work. Remove to force ESXi to use working "hpsa" driver
  • Add the Nov 2017 HPE vib bundles
  • Remove hpe-smx-provider v650.01.11.00.17 - This version seems to cause the B120i or P410 to crash when querying health status
  • Add hpe-smx-provider v600.03.11.00.9 (downloaded from HPE vibsdepot)

• Add scsi-hpvsa v5.5.0-88 bundle (downloaded from HPE drivers page)

• Add scsi-hpdsa v5.5.0.54 bundle (downloaded from HPE drivers page)

I did the above by getting a basic/working ESXi/VCSA installation and then creating a custom ISO in VCSA AutoDeploy and exporting it. But the same can be achieved by installing VMWare's original ISO and modifying via the esxcli command.

I have a SSD connected to the SATA port, onto which I am installing ESXi. The 4 front drive bays are connected to the P410.

• Configure the Microserver Gen8 B120i to use AHCI mode - the B120i is a fake raid card so only reports physical disks to ESXi. Leaving in RAID mode works but I got a false Health Alert on Disk Bay 5
  • Install my modified ESXi ISO to the SSD

With these modifications I have a working ESXi 6.5U1 on my Gen8 with fully functioning HPE tools and array health monitoring:

FornQz5.jpg

I also tested disabling the vmw_ahci driver, which is why the AHCI controller shows it is using ahci in the above image.

klryZ4n.jpg

If I pull out a disk to test a raid failure, when the health status next updates I can see a raid health alert in the ESXi WebGUI:

yqmmt9d.jpg

However I'm now stuck at the next stage - getting this storage health to pass through to VCSA. VCSA can successfully see all other health monitors (under System Sensors in ESXi) just not the storage, which is the most important.

yqmmt9d.jpg

Does anyone know how I can get the storage health working in VCSA?

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cansher

Thanks!

Disabled the nhpsa driver and installed a hpsa driver separately and seems to have solved my problems with creating datastores.

Received a "cannot change the host configuration" error before, and system was more sluggish.