RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
RyanG8

HP Proliant ML350p G8 Watercooling!

ook4mi
13 hours ago, ook4mi said:

I think I'm game over... My HP ML350p G8 won't run anymore, when I checked in ILO. I have Critical Health and log say : " System Power Fault Detected " . I'm running under last bios 😕 and I did a clear on switch 6 but it still not booting up...

Did I kill my machine .? I think and feel pretty down... 😕

Well I don’t know why I cleaned it all removing pci cards, ram. And it’s now running well. It might be something not plug well or a warning I will die soon : I don’t know and it’s frustrating... :(

mtgawesome
Posted (edited)

I am in the process of acquiring a ml350e g8 motherboard and I was wonder what is the best way to simulate the fans if I do not have original cable. Also can this board be powered by a standard atx power supply or not?

Edited by mtgawesome

HJB
On 3/29/2020 at 6:52 AM, mtgawesome said:

I am in the process of acquiring a ml350e g8 motherboard and I was wonder what is the best way to simulate the fans if I do not have original cable. Also can this board be powered by a standard atx power supply or not?

Do you have the Fancage with the little PCB for the Connection to the Motherboard? If not i would stay a way from using that Motherboard as you probably aint going to get it to boot without that.

HJB
Posted (edited)

I made a littie Pulse inverter so we can use standard CPU & CaseFan’s. The Pulse Inverter ist quite simple just 1 Transistor an 3 Resistors per Fan. In my prototype I didn’t manage to get RPM Reporting working so I left that out and just connected Pin5 (Yellow) to Gnd and all was good.

schema.png.60d22c28c47b4aa3195b4980e459d67e.png

HP Fan Connector Circuitboard

1     Green, VIA5, VIA15, VIA25, VIA35,         PWM

2     Black,    VIA4, VIA14, VIA24, VIA34,         Ground

3     Red,      VIA3, VIA13, VIA23, VIA33,         12Volt

4     Black,    VIA2, VIA12, VIA22, VIA32,         Ground
5     Yellow, VIA1, VIA 11, VIA21, VIA31,        Connect to ground for Fan Present, RPM ?

1258772195_noctuaconnector.png.7f50bfef57978904f2f0d59f2c382d32.png

Below in purple ist he incoming pulse and in yellow the inverted one going into my Noctua's

This Picture was taken while my Fans were running at 25%.

inverted.png.da20f5741e60381969c1928e0104c182.png

Here's the Picture with my 2 x 140mm Fans (nr 1 & 4) and both CPU Coolers (nr 2 & 3).

IMG-3806b.thumb.jpg.536bda3a17cdcba4faa2dde01c249f53.jpg

All is working fine now and even under full power nothing running to Hot or beeing to Loud. Heck when the load is low the thing is barely audible. I just need to tackle the Fans in the powersupply's one day as they are now the loudest :-)

Time for Beer

beer.thumb.jpg.c60fb52b5f546a0c696336f4bed7e871.jpg

Edited by HJB

antx0n

Hi everyone,
I just bough an ML350p (which I haven't been able to pick up because of the "containment") and I was specifically looking at how to replace those fans, I just can't believe that you answered almost all my questions and that the thread couldn't be more alive.
This is a great motivation and I'll keep you upadted on my experience.
Cheers

HJB
Posted (edited)

Hi antx0n

Just to clarify, as CPU Cooler I used 2 x Noctua NH-U9DX i4 

The picture has 2 large 140mm case fans Noctua NF-A14 PWM. But  I've already replaced them as load testing showed those to be a bad choice. They simply do not bring the Pressure to get enough airflow because of the cabinets intake resistance.

I now have 2 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM in there wich does the job in my cool basement while beeing pleasantly silent.

The main difference is double the Pressure value

NF-A14 PWM                                        1500 RPM    24,6 dB/A     140,2 m³/h     2,08  mm H2O  4-pin PWM 

NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM     2000             31,5               182,5               4,18                    4-pin PWM 

If you're not in a cool environment i would defenitly advise to use one with even more pressure like the 

NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM      3000 RPM    41,3 dB/A    269,3 m³/h   10,52 mm H2O   4-pin PWM    

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan

Regards and stay healthy

Edited by HJB

DenKarp

Hey y'all, so um... yeah... kinda did a thing with my ML350p. 😬

I had some scynthe 2400rpm 92mm fans that replaced the deltas but gpu intensive games were just not cutting it (R9 390 nitro). I was having heat issues issue due to not enough cooling since the dam thing is so long and the fan case seems to break the airflow so i said F-it, gonna build myself a new smaller case with larger, beefier, quiter, higher cfm fans. Lots of work and attention to detail involved but a fun project nonetheless. Here is the result. Enjoy!

IMG_4038(1).jpg.7ae2e4ed73a993f6ad94ddab20d906f4.jpg

Mango for scale... don't get it confused with an Apple ; D 

IMG_4045.jpg.9bbe252cc747ec0c4df4aae2288d9d7f.jpg

My ambient temp was around 22c and around that temp with the old case, with Rocket League, I was hitting 68-74 on the gpu. I was only able to get about 40 minutes of game time in and already see a dramatic improvement. It didnt want to go above 60c at max settings. Ilo is also showing lower temps than usual on almost all sensors. CPU usage with this game is not an issue but did see a drop in that as well. Usual is around 62ish but only went up to 54 with the new case. 

Note: 160KB limit for photos? What is this?...early 2000's? Wish I could share all photos from the project but will possibly do that in multiple separate threads. 

XeonUnicorn
Posted (edited)

Man haven't posted for a bit! 

Work in progress still, will have some posts soonish I hope! 

HJB how are you getting on with the Psu fans? I'm looking into ways to make fake fan circuits using 555s but at the very beginning of that process. Any progress you have made would be very interesting. 

I can add that I moved to a corsair commander for PWM control. The combination with the AIOs is awesome! I can run two of the fans and maintain 37c average and under load 46 average with the rear Aio fans kicking in at 41c.

iCue is a great GUI and you can assign cpu temp sensors to each individual AIO so cpu 1 is linked to AIO 1 etc etc. 

So yeah the software side approach is definitely the way to go in an AIO setup. 

Edited by XeonUnicorn

HJB
On 5/16/2020 at 4:04 AM, XeonUnicorn said:

HJB how are you getting on with the Psu fans? I'm looking into ways to make fake fan circuits using 555s but at the very beginning of that process. Any progress you have made would be very interesting. 

Hi there XeonUnicorn,  Till now I haven't done anything about the PSU fans. The PSU's seem to have it pretty easy and their fans are acceptable at the moment. The server is running Proxmox with 10 SSD's and 6 x 3,5" HDD a few Ubuntu VM's on it and a Docker Host all in all it is humming away nicely and hopefully will stay like this for some time to come.

bruno_rio021

Researching a lot on the internet, looking for improvements that I can make in my ML (or excessive noise bothers me a lot), I found this excellent topic.
I'm from Brazil and here some things are hard to find, like Noctua's 2011 coolers. With the amount charged for 1 of the Noctua NH-U9DX i4 here in BR, it is possible to buy here with the same value, 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition and 2x Noctua NF-A4x20, for the redundant PSU's.

I'll start tracking and wait for my purchases to arrive to start my mods....

Sorry for my bad English and thank you for sharing the knowledge you have acquired throughout the process.