RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
RyanG8

HP Proliant ML350p G8 Watercooling!

ook4mi
31 minutes ago, XeonUnicorn said:

OS - W10

How the hell did you successfully install Windows 10 ? From USB or CD ? Is it a familly edition or pro one ? Did you upgrade from a lower version of Windows ?

I did a memory test and all memory sticks are OK no error :(

Where you from ? US ? Engineer ? What is your speciality ? Electricity ?

XeonUnicorn

I don't have a good grasp on the software side per se. This is the realm of my tech friend, I can do basic end user software tasks. We used USB to install W10. 

I am an unqulified engineer in the field of CNC precision engineering, and General fabrication. I apply this knowledge to fabrication of hardware and computer components. 

XeonUnicorn

More updates to follow, very drunk lawls! 

XeonUnicorn

Hi all, 

I think it has been mentioned previously that pwm for the fans is BIOS controlled, this has some interesting implications, some theory, some tested and confirmed. 

Theory one is that fans one and four are pwm based on ram temp sensors, later testing may confirm this. 

Theory number two (very strong reason to believe this) is that fans two and three are pwm based on cpu temp sensing. CPU temp goes up and fans modulate accordingly. Currently getting temps of 22-37 degrees average at idle. 

Through testing we confirmed that whatever the case is pwm is always happening even when the system is off but power is still being supplied i.e. power button flashing orange. With a fan connected by an external 12v supply and being given a pwm signal from the fan connector pwm occurs.

With this information in mind we got to work. RyanG8 has achieved pwm from a software side using CorsairLink and a Corsair Commander device and I had it in mind to do the same thing and may do so if theory one proves false but we wanted to play around and see what we could do. 

At first we tried to be way to clever and build an arduino device that read the pwm from the fan controller and then managed the pwm through some code to stay within the limitations of the AIOs fans.... to hard basket lol. In the end we kept it very simple and built a module that has its own 12v supply and a pwm only from the fan connector:

20200209_182028.thumb.jpg.ff05a966cdac8875bfbef839eb5868fe.jpg

The two front headers are being given a pwm signal from fan twos pwm and the third header is given a signal from the theoretical ram pwm or fan four. The two pin header is the pwm supply, 12v supply is from a sata power cable. 

20200209_182046.thumb.jpg.e9c2166270066294d23dc810218bbc67.jpg

The fan connector now looks like this under the heat shrink

20200209_182111.thumb.jpg.c62bdfa552718764000ec3013e1f8192.jpg

Running without issue and no erroneous errors during post. I will post again when more testing has occurred for the "ram" pwm which will go out to two 80mm fans mounted at the rear of the chassis. 

Edited by XeonUnicorn
  • Thanks 1

XeonUnicorn
On 2/9/2020 at 10:53 AM, ook4mi said:

How the hell did you successfully install Windows 10 ? From USB or CD ? Is it a familly edition or pro one ? Did you upgrade from a lower version of Windows ?

I did a memory test and all memory sticks are OK no error :(

Where you from ? US ? Engineer ? What is your speciality ? Electricity ?

Try resetting your bios and installing from USB. Failing that try an Ubuntu (Linux) install to see if it can load up an OS. Remember though this string is for hardware mods around cooling so looking in another string will probably be better. 

Edited by XeonUnicorn

ook4mi

You looks to have a lot of fun. :D

how is your build now ?

I tried Pop Os (I have a Nvidia graphic card). I can play on it the only problem : it detected only one cpu :o .

I updated intelligent provisioning and I successfully installed Windows but it goes to recovery each time I tried to boot on it. 

It is driving me crazy. 

XeonUnicorn

Are you trying to install W10 Home or Pro? 

ook4mi
On 2/15/2020 at 11:00 PM, XeonUnicorn said:

Are you trying to install W10 Home or Pro? 

I tried both without any success... At the moment, I'm running PopOS (Linux). All is running pretty well so I'll stay with Linux. Thanks for your help ;) .

How is your build ? What did you improve ? Last time you show sata cable so did you add HDD ? How many ? ;)

XeonUnicorn

That's a strange one mate, I'm stumped for ideas on your OS install. 

In the process of some more case mods, will come back with info in a month or so. 

DenKarp

Hello all, 

I have previously posted before on this thread and have been using my ML350P G8 server as a home computer for the past 3-4 months successfully after doing some hardware changes to make the unit cooler and quieter (thank you RyanG8 for the wonderful guidance in regards to tying the grounds on the fan connectors!).

Here is what I have so far and could maybe help someone that is deciding to Frankenstein the same (similar) machine. 

Some specs to start: 

System_Summary.thumb.PNG.0518ef6e931bfc0edb61b69097e66228.PNG

I have put in a AMD Radeon R9 390x Sapphire Nitro 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Card in order to play some games and work on some CAD software. Does really well actually, considering its a 5 year old card. Here are some Star Swarm Test results. These are settings at extreme. Note: I have also included a manual voltage regular that I can adjust myself. I kept voltage on this test at 7v (max allowed is 10.9. Restriction due to the regulator unit and not power supply.) Will mention the fans I utilized instead of the stock in a bit, but if I bumped up voltage to max the results would be better with the excess cooling.

Oxide Games
Star Swarm Stress Test - ©2013
Version 1.10
12/24/2019 08:18
===========================================================

== Hardware Configuration =================================
GPU:        AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
CPU:        GenuineIntel
               Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 0 @ 2.00GHz
Physical Cores:            16
Logical Cores:            32
Physical Memory:         137402523648
Allocatable Memory:        140737488224256

== Configuration ==========================================
API:                DirectX
Scenario:            ScenarioFollow.csv
User Input:            Disabled
Resolution:            1920x1080
Fullscreen:            True
GameCore Update:        16.6 ms
Bloom Quality:            High
PointLight Quality:        High
ToneCurve Quality:        High
Glare Overdraw:            16
Shading Samples:         64
Shade Quality:            Mid
Deferred Contexts (D3D11):        Disabled
Small Batch Optimized (Mantle):        Enabled
Temporal AA Duration:        16
Temporal AA Time Slice:        2
Detailed Frame Info:        Off

== Results ================================================
Test Duration:            360 Seconds
Total Frames:            11802

Average FPS:            32.78
Average Unit Count:        4304
Maximum Unit Count:        5544
Average Batches/MS:        555.43
Maximum Batches/MS:        1062.15
Average Batch Count:        17724
Maximum Batch Count:        123227

Below is what I did/used for the replacement of the very loud Delta fans. As mentioned in previous posts on the thread, this unit will not function and will give you post codes regarding fans if the fan ground inputs are not tied (or fans are disconnected).Tying the two ground black wires on the connector side for the delta fans does the trick. Was NOT able to bypass this in any way since there are really no fans out there available that are quite and fast enough in order to mimic the deltas rpm pulse. Here is a photo of what each fan slot (4 of them) in the bay looks like after jimmy rigging. 

(note: the 4 slot rigged wire corresponds to the two black wires on the connector)

20190720_170738.thumb.jpg.edde5abe1ef053547b9fe01bb5480bc4.jpg

(Note: I used some connectors from a junked computers sata power ports that has 4 slots. Since I needed to only tie the two black wires, it works as required. Decided not to cut the wires directly from the connectors on the fan chassis since maybe one day I would need them for my delta fans. Could just pull them off and reinsert originals)

20190720_170813.thumb.jpg.8f1943ebcd07184849c239d4a4207b44.jpg

Since I needed to use different fans and the connector would not fit in its original retaining bracket with the fans I just tucked everything in all nice nice. (Note: four wire wire in the background is from the new fans.) 

20200220_193437.thumb.jpg.04fc3b04b8daf621a05646e88811ba2b.jpg

At one point I thought I would keep the delta fans on here and create a sort of tunneling effect towards the CPU's original heat-sink but that didn't work out very well. They just blow (pun intended) at keeping the CPU's at proper temps. At Idle it was about 10 degrees C cooler or so but once i started putting some load on, the fans just revved up and created a lot of noise. 

20190720_174120.thumb.jpg.ca321c872bb980889a3ef488682f2c05.jpg

Even tried to apply the tunneling affect to the newer quieter fans with the closed ground connector jimmy rigging and it was doing a lot better than my previous attempt (whilst also placing little cheap fans near the CPU's) and it would just thermal throttle (at 92 degrees C) under stress and just said screw it, will get myself some proper, beefier heat-sinks. 

Note: Sorry cannot upload any more images due to to size restriction. Will continue on a different thread post.