RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Proliant ML350p G8 Watercooling!

RyanG8

4 hours ago, XeonUnicorn said:

Not sure about the illegal op code part, as for the GPU cable iirc you populate the lower part of the BLACK socket with the 6 pin end of your cable. 

So I reverse the cable put the 6 pin part in the motherboard and the 8 pin in the graphic card ?

Do you have any photos ?

Otherwise, I wonder if I cannot just cut the empty square pin because it looks to be the one that blocks the 8 pin cable to connect...

IMG_6776.JPG

I cannot say enough thank for all your reply. After some search in my cable I found a 6 pins PCIE that can plug :

1 2 3   = 12V

5 6 7   = GRD

IMG_6778.thumb.JPG.a3ae30269c14a066cbe7b1456a3ec2a9.JPG

Nothing to plug in 4 and 8, I don't know if it'll be ok .

So I plan to connect like

1 2 3 to 12+

4 5 6 7 8 to GRD

If I'm wrong I will only burn graphic card or I risk also to burn mother board ? :x

Burn the card, but it should be fine. A friend says illegal op code might be a bad ram module. 

That is the correct 6 pin power end based on your pic. 

Update:

So we just added pwm to the radiator fans! Using a bread board we attached three pwm headers, wired all for 12v supply (molex), and hijacked a pwm signal (fan2 pwm) off the fan connector and wired it as common on the bread board ;)

Utterly silent! 

When it goes through POST they spin up to full rpm (still not loud at all) the same as original deltas did. 

As a side note don't use power from the fan connector as this is a 4.5amp supply and will likely kill low amp cooler fans or at least that's our theory, hence the use of molex supply of constant 12v.

Sounds good :) . What brand of fan do you use ? What is the setup of your ml350p ? What os do you use ?

The graphic card did not burn all is ok, I just received my 1200w power supply I won’t fear any more my pc to shut down I was having only a 460w psu... ;)

I'm using Cooler Masters master liquid 120rs x2. They are all-in-one coolers that come with fans so x4 120mm fans basically.

I'm in engineering so hardware like brackets and cpu retention brackets are custom made. RyanG8 has had success with other brands of AIO liquid coolers that have the correct cpu mounting hardware, i had to make mine because the model of AIO I used did not have the correct hardware. I believe AStek make an AIO kit that has LGA2011 narrow mounting hardware. Other than the fan connector mod the rest of the machine is stock. 

CPUs - x2 E5 2620s

RAM - 96 gig, mix of 4 and 8 gig modules 10600

GPU - Asus 6970 (for now) 

OS - W10

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• gru
      By gru
      Hi! I am planning to buy a Microserver Gen10 Plus E-2224 for a small business, and want to add as much disk space as possible. I already have the older Gen10 with 4x4TB HDDs in RAID10 (effective capacity 8TB) and a 2TB SSD in the 5th slot (which is missing on the new G10 plus). The max stated capacity on the HPE site seems to be limited with their own enterprise HDDs, so I'd like to see if I can go for bigger disks. The server would be running a sort of an application which collects lots of data from devices, and the data tends to grow over time (1-2TB per year), and I'd prefer not to worry about the capacity for the next several years.

My primary concern is the max capacity (max single drive capacity + max total RAID capacity with the Smart Array S100i) I can reliably install. If possible, some actual setup which has been shown to work with 32GB RAM and its limited 180W power supply? I was also planning on upgrading it to 32GB. If I am buying a 16GB RAM server, does this means it has both slots occupied with 8GB modules and I need a 2x32GB kit? For the os SSD, I won't have the PCIe slot available because we need to insert a certain GPS PCIe card that the server uses for time synchronization. So, if I want an SSD, this means I should use something like 1xSSD + 3xHDD in RAID5, instead of RAID10?  
      I've been planning to install 16TB Seagate Exos X16 drives, with rated max operating power at 10W (6.3W for random reads/writes). Does this seam feasible?

Thanks a lot for your tips!
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Does anyone know if it is possible to get Agentless Management Service (AMS) running on Debian/Ubuntu Linux? It is always showing as Not Available in the iLO page and I have only ever seen this active in Windows.
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys,

Has anyone around here been successful in setting up Proxmox on a Gen8 using a HBA for storage?
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys,

As of June 2020, what are the latest versions of firmware for HP Microserver Gen8 to be installed on the system itself? Also do any other components have updatable firmware/os-independent software?

So far my list is as follows:
      BIOS - J06 (04/04/2019) iLO 4 - v2.73 (11/02/2020) Intelligent Provisioning - v1.71 (20/02/2019)  
      and I guess the following could also be added (although both out of date):
      Smart Update Manager (HP SUM) - v8.1.0 (21/12/2017) Service Pack for ProLiant (06/11/2017)  
      Date formated as DD/MM/YYYY.

I believe all the B120i Smart Storage stuff is part of Intelligent Provisioning.
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys, 

Bit of a random question here, and I know it depends on many factors such as what they are doing etc, but how many VMs have you guys comfortably ran on Gen8 with an E3-1265v2 and 16GB RAM? When did you start to see a performance hit compared to what the Gen8 is generally capable of?