HP Proliant ML350p G8 Watercooling!

Hi all, Thought I would make a post about a recent project I started as it may be of some use as it's a fairly good base for a home server.

I recently bought a HP Proliant ML350p G8 on eBay for around $350, It had no drives, a very low spec E5-2609 4-core and 8GB of ram.

My first problem with this server was that it was loud, not really rack mount loud but too loud for me in a quiet room. So I thought hey! why not watercool it, so I set out doing research. I removed all three 92mm delta fans and spent an evening working out how to fool the system into thinking it still had them so it would let me boot it and see that all the fans were working, this was done using jumper cables in the hot plug slots; connecting the two black grounds and the single yellow signal pins together in each 5-pin header, there was no documentation on this anywhere that I could find so it was all trial and error, I hope this helps if you are considering watercooling any G8/G9 Proliant server as I imagine its fairly similar.

I also wanted a bit more punch so I had a look around and settled for a E5-2630v2 6-core from eBay for $70

Next was sourcing watercooling for it, I have gone for a single closed loop Corsair H90 $65 and a Asetek 2011 Narrow ILM ring adaptor $8 found HERE to fit the 2011 sockets found on the ML350, these bits are being delivered in the next few days so I will update with photos and results when the H90 is fitted! I might get another 2630v2 if all goes well as it has two 2011 sockets available.

This box will be used as a development environment eventually, probably running Hyper-V but I may throw a graphics card in it before and see how it does in some games just for the fun of it ;)  

Hope this is of interest.

Do you have any pictures of all the mods?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Gulftown
      By Gulftown
      After reading a lot of stuff here and there I am planning some sort of investigation... I'd like to make a board adapter to make Microserver work with any 120mm fan (PWM or DC regulated) without problems and failures. I know some members got problems when installed a new fan and tried different connection schematics.
      Here's what I'd like to do:
      6pin HP connector <-----cable----> adapter board with MCU   -----> 4-pin fan connector (+ 6-pin HP-compliant one for backward compatibility)
      Desired functionality of MCU board:
      1. Working rotation detect with any fan based on rpm counter.
      2. MCU-based rotation speed regulation using both PWM and DC modes to allow support for any fan. DC controlled fan low-voltage cutoff detection should be included.
      3. "First-run" mode to check to lowest voltage and detect PWM-DC fan control functionality.
      I couldn't find some information:
      1. What 6-pin connector type HP utilyses to allow the board connection to Microserver mobo as I wouldn't like to disassemble the original fan?
      2. Have anyone tried the rotation detect imitation (having a 6-pin custom connector and a potentiometer would let me do that)?
      3. Can you help me to collect some information regarding the issue in this topic to make things easier as I can say there's 5 or 6 topics only on Reset and I also find some info on HP and other related forums?
    • rhbkweb
      By rhbkweb
      Hi all,
      As you may all know, in the last days where discovered 2 big security flaws on CPUs named Meltdown and Spectre (https://spectreattack.com/)
      I have a HP Microserver N40L and after search the HP support site I did not find any information about how and if HP will release any patch or update to the N40L in order to fix this security issues.
      Does anyone has any news or information about how HP is handling this?
      Edit: Just found the HP page about this at: http://h22208.www2.hpe.com/eginfolib/securityalerts/SCAM/Side_Channel_Analysis_Method.html and I don't see any mention to HP microserver N40L
    • Steventon's IT World
      By Steventon's IT World
      Hi all,
      New to the forum so hello all 
      I wrote about this in much more detail on my blog here with instructions.
      I recently installed dual fans on my Gen 8 heatsink after installing the Intel Core i3 3240 processor. Installing the i3 processor gave me a huge increase in performance but came at a cost. That cost being heat and a lot of it. So I ordered some 30x30 fans and installed them onto the heatsink. 
      I was extremely careful of placement. Putting anything in the middle of the heatsink fins (anything holding the fans) could cause heat spots and that's not something I wanted the put my new processor through. So I managed to cable tie the fans to the screws holding the heatsink to the motherboard. Again being careful as to not apply too much pressure to the screws.
      The fans are rather stable seeing as just two cable ties are holding it down. The method works very well and I am really impressed with it. I have seen a huge 20°C decrease in temperature readings when the server is at full CPU load.
      I thought I would share this method as other people might be interested in. 

• Moreplavec
      By Moreplavec
      I have new Gen8 and installed SSD do 5th bay, trying to boot via USB Grub. But i can't get it to work. I switched in BIOS to USB boot and tried to install Ubuntu server 16 + /boot set to USB drive, partition created on USB (ext3). Not working.
      So i deleted all and tried to install Proxmox to SSD, without problem. Then i used tutorial to create USB bootable https://jarrodla.blogspot.cz/2014/04/hp-microserver-gen8-boot-from-5th-sata.html but again, no luck. I tried to create another three USB flash drives, still not booting, USB is skipped to next medium.
      Please, can you help me what's crucial to USB to be working as GRUB loader to boot from SSD? Thanks!

• StevieD
      By StevieD
      Hi all, 
      Got myself a Gen8 a while back and starting to set it up now properly. I had one 3TB disk in there to start off with testing the G1610T which was a little slow so I change that out to a Xeon(R) CPU E3-1265L V2 @ 2.50GHz. 
      Now I am adding 3 more 3TB disks for a total of 4 and the logical drive now will be a 750GB 2.5" WD laptop drive connected to the ODA port (thanks for the youtube instructions).
      I installed Vmware ESXI 6.5 and it seems the raid controller B120i is not showing up as it should.
      When RAID0 was selected and created in the BIOS this did not reflect on the datastore (which showed only one disk), I understand this means the B120i and I need to obtain a driver (from where?)
      Pictures attached
      Do you recommend RAID0 for esxi I would like the use of all 12TB? This is only for a home server and the important data will be backed up externally and periodically. 
      thanks in advance for any help