RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
rlsx

N40L - Power supply dead: can it be fixed?

rlsx

My N40L PSU died.
I'we checked with a classic "external" PSU that the N40L works, indeed, and that the problem is the PSU.

Is there a fuse inside the original PSU?  Or anything that can be fixed?

Thanks!

rlsx

... Not trying to save money, just to avoid the pain of trying to adapt the cabling of a different PSU.

schoondoggy

There is no fuse in the PSU as far as I know. There are a few threads in the forum on replacing the PSU with an after market model. Measure the existing supply carefully. Most replacement units have the fan internal instead of external. Depending on where you live, eBay US has used N40l for $80. You could use the PSU and part out the rest.

rlsx
Posted (edited)

Thanks!
I live in France. US units are out of bounds (shipping and taxes). N40L's in eBay Europe tend to be more expensive.

Also, I am suspicious of old units: My PSU gave up the ghost after 5 years of moderate (but 24 hours) use. This means older units may well do the same very soon!
Anything beyond changing a fuse is outside my "electronic" abilities.

I have set my sights on a (new) Seasonic SS-250SU from Amazon France (can be returned). The problem is that It's very hard to find out the layout and length of cables of various PSU's -- even from the manufaturers' websites.
We'll see...

Edited by rlsx