RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GavinCampbell

Need Help Finding a New Video Card

GavinCampbell

Hey Guys,

Its been a while since I've had to get a video card but I need a new one for my current PC.  It currently has a ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT which isn't really supported in Win10.  Everytime I get upgraded my system will blue screen until i roll back the driver for it.  I also think I should upgrade to something a bit better.  I've been looking at what is offered on Amazon and not exactly sure what would be a good one.

I'm looking for something that does dual monitor and under 100$.  It doesn't have to be super powerful as I mainly just watch video on one of the monitors and surf the net and skype on the 2nd.  Not much more than that on this PC.  It would be great if it supports h265 decoding as well and hopefully fan less as I want this PC to be as silent as possible.  Right now I can't hear a thing coming from it.  Should I be looking at 1GB or 2GB?

My motherboard is a Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3.  Looking at the spec's it lists the following as my expansion slots.

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 support ATI CrossFireX™ technology(@dual x8 speed)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x4
1 x PCIe 2.0 x1
2 x PCI

Any recommendations?  or what should I focus on with my searches?

Trig0r

Problem with any half decent cards at the mo is the crypto miners are grabbing them all up meaning anything you get will have an inflated price...

I've just put a GTS710 into a machine, it had dvi vga and HDMI and was about £40...

schoondoggy

What port/connection choices are available to each monitor? Do you need 4k?

Four months ago, AMD RX550 cards were under $100 and that would have been my recomendation. Now they are around $125. GT 1030 based cards are around $100 and would be a good choice:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PH-GT1030-O2G-GeForce-Phoenix-Graphics/dp/B071JV26GH/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1520697000&sr=1-2&keywords=gt+1030&dpID=51x06dK4fhL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

GavinCampbell

What port/connection choices are available to each monitor? Do you need 4k?

Four months ago, AMD RX550 cards were under $100 and that would have been my recomendation. Now they are around $125. GT 1030 based cards are around $100 and would be a good choice:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PH-GT1030-O2G-GeForce-Phoenix-Graphics/dp/B071JV26GH/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1520697000&sr=1-2&keywords=gt+1030&dpID=51x06dK4fhL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Dont need 4K. I haven’t gotten to that point yet. 

One monitor is vga and one is HDMI. My current card has to dvi outputs and I just use adaptors to convert it over. The video I watch is mainly background noise for when I’m working. It’s just on a 19” monitor. 

Ill take a look at that card. If I go over a bit that’s ok. I just want something that will be good for the money and works with my motherboard. 

Dave

The rx550 is a good card. The asus fan is louder than the others. I would get the Gigabyte. You don't need to ask me how i know right?