RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recovering bare metal WS2012R2 Essentials

I have a self-built WS2012R2 Essentials based home server. The OS drive has just died and I am trying to figure out how to recover it.

The server backup is on another drive and the user data is on a DrivePool array of other drives. I am going to replace the system drive and then what? How do I actually access the backup image to restore it?

The Microsoft documentation seems to resort to the manufacturer DVD (which I don't have since it's a self-build), and I stupidly have put the iso of the OS on the server, which I can't access. Is there some way to download a recovery disk that I can put on a USB drive?

Thanks for any suggestions. Seems I didn't think this one through properly. ;-)

Drashna Jaelre

It doesn't have to be the manufacturer's DVD.  Just the install disk.  If you have that, great!  If not... then you can download the ISO here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials

Boot the install disk and select the "repair" option on the install disk.  Run through the wizard and restore. 

Great thank you for this. It thankfully turned out that it was a SATA power saving related issue with the motherboard settings rather than a failed disk so I have it running and now I know that I need to keep the iso on a USB.

THanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Steve Pitts

Just to add a note that may help others with bare metal restore of the OS, my own experience with a failed system disk in a Thecus W5000 suggests that you might have problems restoring using a USB stick as the only way I could get it to work was burning the ISO to DVD and booting from a USB attached DVD drive. Since it can take an age to get to the point of discovering that it hasn't worked, and with an obscure error to boot, that may save someone some time. 

Drashna Jaelre

Yeah, the Thecus boxes are ... "pretty special" when it comes to this.  It has to do more with the BIOS and the boot options, IIRC.  
Restoring the disk on another computer and popping it into the correct system would work, as well.