• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• cskenney

• pcdoc

Good post and responses everyone. I think I learned a lot. Based on this discussion, I believe my switch (link below) is a good switch?

NETGEAR JGS516 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Rackmount Switch 16 x RJ45 8,000 MAC Address Table 2MB Buffer Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122057&Tpk=JGS516

This seems to be a good switch, however it has a fan which can make a bit noisy for home environments depending on your setup. The dlink greens are fan-less and absolutely quiet.

This seems to be a good switch, however it has a fan which can make a bit noisy for home environments depending on your setup. The dlink greens are fan-less and absolutely quiet.

It is in my wife's closet so no noice concerns. My server is also in there and she loves that it keeps the closet warm.

• 2 weeks later...

Best practice would be to have a wall-plate with as many jacks as are needed (plus some spares). What actually happens would probably involve a local switch.

Cable is cheap and you can get up to 6 jacks on a single wallplate, so I'd try and go that route if I were you, using the patch panel that you have. (Remember though that to get cat6 speeds/reliability, everything has to support cat6, from the cable to patch panel to the connectors/terminations.)

Interesting thread this, I am in the process of planning how I am going to stream HD video from my WHS to my home theatre which is on another floor. I have been using wireless for SD but it just can't stream HD, as it just keeps bufferring. I've ran a Cat6 cable across the floor and it streams fine. So I am working out how I can run the Cat6 up the walls across the roof and down to my home theatre. I have 4 devices there that all want to connect so I was thinking of connecting all the devices to a 1 gig switch and then connect teh swith to a single wall socket with the Cat 6 back to another switch in my home office which will connect to the router. based on your post are you suggesting I shoud run 4 or more Cat6 cables to a wall plate and terminate them at the switch in my home office? Seems like a lot of wiring?

Am I interpreting it correctly.

That is ideal, but it may not be practical.

Agreed. If you have the time and money you could run 4 runs (at least you only have to do 1 pull and then pull all 4 together (if you are using conduit)), but not always practical. Just remember that all 4 devices will be limited by the interconnect, which in your case probably won't be a problem.

You might consider getting more ports, so as they die and they will, you do not have to get an entirely new switch. I have a 24port and use about 16 of them. It also leaves room for expansion and the additional cost is minimal.

• 3 weeks later...

You might consider getting more ports, so as they die and they will, you do not have to get an entirely new switch. I have a 24port and use about 16 of them. It also leaves room for expansion and the additional cost is minimal.

So what's up with ports dying? Why is that? Low quality hardware?

Expansion room is good, but dying????? If I loose a port (which has not yet happend) I will want to replace the whole unit. He does make a good point on expansion though.