RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gigabit Switch Question

NateDawg1148

Did they give any reason for such a recommendation? I also don't get why the same suggestion wouldn't apply to TV stuff?

Only issue I can see is a second device to troubleshoot.

I think there is a belief that media should be on a separate network from data.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• cskenney

• pcdoc

My guess is that TV/Video is more consistent and normally does not tax your network unless you transferring or copying files. Just a guess on my part...

Did they give any reason for such a recommendation? I also don't get why the same suggestion wouldn't apply to TV stuff?

Only issue I can see is a second device to troubleshoot.

It was primarily so that your large UDP streams wouldn't cause any issues with other TCP traffic (such as IP phones, or controls) that are more delay-sensitive. Note that the context was more whole-home installations with 10+ media Center Extenders and 20+ tuners, not your average 1-5 TV homes.

Good post and responses everyone. I think I learned a lot. Based on this discussion, I believe my switch (link below) is a good switch?

NETGEAR JGS516 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Rackmount Switch 16 x RJ45 8,000 MAC Address Table 2MB Buffer Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122057&Tpk=JGS516

When I was over at the Custom Installer classes at EHX this year, they strongly, strongly recommend to install a single switch and wire everything to that whenever possible. (The exception would be a dedicated network for TV stuff if you are doing HD HomeRun and/or Media Center+Extenders).

This has been a very informative/intriguing thread. A question for clarification. I have 24-port gigabit unmanaged switch (HP ProCurve) off of my router and feeding a number of devices in my server room and my patch panel(which has cat6 runs throughout the house to ethernet jacks to various rooms). However, in a given room, I haven't been able to determine a practical way of NOT having a seperate switch to feed devices near given ethernet jack. For example: HTPC, SlingCatcher, PS3, TV, AirportExpress, etc. (I have about 7 or 8 places in my house where 3+ devices are connected to the network).

How do Custom Installers recommend getting around this? do they install 6 or 8-jack ethernet wall-panels with seperate cat6 runs coming from the main switch?

Thanks in advance....

Best practice would be to have a wall-plate with as many jacks as are needed (plus some spares). What actually happens would probably involve a local switch.

Cable is cheap and you can get up to 6 jacks on a single wallplate, so I'd try and go that route if I were you, using the patch panel that you have. (Remember though that to get cat6 speeds/reliability, everything has to support cat6, from the cable to patch panel to the connectors/terminations.)

For very large installations, you would have switches dedicated to certain floors, sections, or offices and those switches would be connected back to a main switch via fiber back to a switch then back to a core router. This is one reason large business block a lot of UDP (streaming) traffic.

Now you know why Network Engineers make such good money.

Guest no-control

It was primarily so that your large UDP streams wouldn't cause any issues with other TCP traffic (such as IP phones, or controls) that are more delay-sensitive. Note that the context was more whole-home installations with 10+ media Center Extenders and 20+ tuners, not your average 1-5 TV homes.

Ahhh Ok that makes more sense