RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gigabit Switch Question

NateDawg1148

I have 14 hard lines in my house running cat5e to 2 seperate 10/100 switches and I will be upgrading very soon to a gigabit switch.

My question is - will I see any difference in performance if I purchase a 16port unmanaged switch (Dlink DGS-1016D at $189 here) or 2 x 8port switch (Dlink DGS-1008G at $49 here)

I dont mind spending the extra 100 if I know that this central switch option will keep throughput flowing without hiccups.

Thanks for any imput.

Nate

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• cskenney

• pcdoc

Having an interconnect between switches means that the total communication between those separate parts of the network is limited by that speed. Is that a frequent occurence? Probably Not. Just remember when you set up everything being in a single switch (assuming a good switch), the backplane is never going to be a limiting factor, as it's not possible to transfer more than 32gbps of data with 16 ports. Sure is more than a potential 2gbps (bi-directional) limitation of the interconnect.

With regards to those 2 switches, the more expensive one has twice the MAC address table, which means you could have more devices (both have probably more than you need) and has more memory per port (again, both have enough).

My recommendation to people when setting up their networks is to have every single device in the house plug directly into a single switch that is separate from a router/wireless AP. So I would recommend going with the 16-port job.

Ah, now you tell me I just upgraded the whole home/office network to Wireless N and Gigabit wired.

I ended up going with the Linksys E3000 Router (as it will run DD-WRT) and (2) 8 port Links 8 port Gigbit switches, if I would of known about this I might of looked into a 16 port as I am using about 15 of the ports now, and lost 2 ports to the interconnection of the switches!

Other then it all works pretty good. The WHS works great with the Gigabit, but I cant get my FreeNAS box to do Gigabit speed to save my life.

So it's the buffer memory that makes that switch better?

While having more buffer is definitely a plus (especially in a mixed 100mbps/1gbps environment) does make it better, the best improvement is the centralization. When I was over at the Custom Installer classes at EHX this year, they strongly, strongly recommend to install a single switch and wire everything to that whenever possible. (The exception would be a dedicated network for TV stuff if you are doing HD HomeRun and/or Media Center+Extenders).

Guest no-control

When I was over at the Custom Installer classes at EHX this year, they strongly, strongly recommend to install a single switch and wire everything to that whenever possible. (The exception would be a dedicated network for TV stuff if you are doing HD HomeRun and/or Media Center+Extenders).

Did they give any reason for such a recommendation? I also don't get why the same suggestion wouldn't apply to TV stuff?

Only issue I can see is a second device to troubleshoot.