Raiden

Gen8 Meltdown & Spectre Fix BIOS is out

Raiden
Posted (edited)

Included latest microcode for those fixes. Version is still J06 but release date is Mar 5th 2018. Small version 2018.01.22, no entitlement is required for downloading.

PS: Not working on VMWare 6.5, says unsupported OS version.

Edited by Raiden

netware5
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Raiden said:

Included latest microcode for those fixes. Version is still J06 but release date is Mar 5th 2018. Small version 2018.01.22, no entitlement is required for downloading.

PS: Not working on VMWare 6.5, says unsupported OS version.

Could you please provide a link? I am constantly watching the HPE support site here and yes, it states that the fix is out. But further searching for it returns only the old 2015 BIOS while searching for some of the others gen8 servers is positive. I will appreciate also a confirmation that no entitlement is required.

***EDIT***

Sorry it seems to be that HPE web site refreshes slowly. Just now I've checked again and new BIOS appeared. Please ignore my question above. :)

Edited by netware5
New information obtained

Shonk
Posted (edited)

i have just looked up intels pdf and production microcode is 1fh for ivy bridge and 2dh for sandy bridge so it seems hp has provided a pre production microcode

Edited by Shonk

Raiden

If you happen to have VMWare 6.5 installed like me, you can extract the BIOS file from Windows packages, along with ROMPAQ.EXE and CPQSRVR2.CPU from the previous USB-key based BIOS flash package (SP99000.exe), or download those 3 files from here:

And use rufus to create a FreeDOS bootdisk, extract those 3 files there, boot from that drive using iLO, and execute ROMPAQ.EXE to flash the new BIOS.

netware5
Posted (edited)

There is an easier way to flash the BIOS - no need to create bootable USB etc.

I am running Nas4free (FreeBSD based), so my OS is not supported by HPE. Just download the Windows or Linux package then use 7zip or other archive software to unpack the .exe or .rar file and look for file named CPQJ0613.436. Then use that file to flash it directly via iLO web intreface.

It is working, confirmed :)

Edited by netware5
  • Like 1

Shonk

If you happen to have VMWare 6.5 installed like me, you can extract the BIOS file from Windows packages, along with ROMPAQ.EXE and CPQSRVR2.CPU from the previous USB-key based BIOS flash package (SP99000.exe), or download those 3 files from here:

And use rufus to create a FreeDOS bootdisk, extract those 3 files there, boot from that drive using iLO, and execute ROMPAQ.EXE to flash the new BIOS.

it always confuses me when people update ilo or the bios via dos when you can do it directly via the web interface in a few seconds

netware5

it always confuses me when people update ilo or the bios via dos when you can do it directly via the web interface in a few seconds

Yes, I'm confused too :) That's the reason I wrote previous post.

But HPE has an important role in this story. If one is reading the HPE support site will have an impression that the only way to flash BIOS and other firmware is to use the executables provided by HPE for each "supported" OS separately.  That is the reason why so many people are doing these boring things with flashing bootable USBs, etc. I don't know why HPE is so silent regarding the excellent option to flash any firmware using iLO web interface. In such case you don't need OS, boot device, etc., just network connection with iLO ... May be HPE is trying to convince people to use their servers only with "officially supported" OS-es ....

Guest MAdD

Shonk,

which webinterface are you talking to?

MAdD

Ricimer

Shonk,

which webinterface are you talking to?

MAdD

You can upload the extracted bios file to the ilo Administration -> Firmware section.

From the page

Firmware Update

iLO Firmware

Obtain the firmware image (.bin) file from the Online ROM Flash Component for HPE iLO 4.

Server Firmware

The following types of server firmware can also be updated from this page:

• HPE System ROM
  • System Programmable Logic Device
  • SL/XL Chassis Firmware
  • Like 1