RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 117, What do you think ?

diehard

Your Christmas podcast,

This week, things were light. We do have Jim's review on Drobo and a visit from Christian Johnson a add-in developer and his new MagicWOL addin and talk on Subsonic and GPT drive addin.

Skype was down, so we managed to get a recording done with Live Meeting, however the quality is not up to par, sorry.

http://homeservershow.com/the-home-server-show-117.html

Also, check out this article on Advanced Format Drives in WHS over at MediaSmartServer.net http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/12/22/using-advanced-format-hard-drives-with-windows-home-server/

What did you think ?

http://media.blubrry.com/homeservershow/homeserverpodcast.com/wp-content/podcast/HSS117.mp3

One of the points I made on the podcast about Drobo was that when a drive is close to full on the Drobo, you can pull the drive without having to move the data off like you do with WHS. The reason for this is that the Drobo has ALL data duplicated. So you still have 1 copy in your storage pool that will duplicate once to insert the replacement drive.

With WHS, you have to go into the Console and remove the drive, wait for that to complete before you physically remove the drive. This could take a long time. But then again, if ALL your files (shares) are duplicated, then you should be just like Drobo and replace the drive without moving off the data since there is a duplicate and it will be rebuilt when you install the new drive. WHS gives you the option to not have ALL shares duplicated, so that's a bonus for WHS&DE because you are not forced to loose 1/2 your drive space to duplication.

Also if in the Drobo, you delete a file, it's deleted on both drives. With WHS you can choose to not have duplication on, and instead choose Backup. Therefore your file is backed up in case you did delete the file, you can restore it.

One of the points I made on the podcast about Drobo was that when a drive is close to full on the Drobo, you can pull the drive without having to move the data off like you do with WHS. The reason for this is that the Drobo has ALL data duplicated. So you still have 1 copy in your storage pool that will duplicate once to insert the replacement drive.

With WHS, you have to go into the Console and remove the drive, wait for that to complete before you physically remove the drive. This could take a long time. But then again, if ALL your files (shares) are duplicated, then you should be just like Drobo and replace the drive without moving off the data since there is a duplicate and it will be rebuilt when you install the new drive. WHS gives you the option to not have ALL shares duplicated, so that's a bonus for WHS&DE because you are not forced to loose 1/2 your drive space to duplication.

Don't forget though that once you pull a drive without removing it, the data is no longer duplicated until it is balanced.

If you had trouble downloading it please try again. I had to fix a path problem in the feed.

Still having issues with Listen...

I thought the show was great considering Skype was down! It was a lot of fun listening to you guys setting up a solution to get it up and running! Although I'm sure it wasn't fun for you cats...it was a blast to listen to! Nice work getting it out!