RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Streaming vid to the Zune HD

dvn

[*]I brought this up in another thread, but I should have created my own thread for this issue in the first place. Anyways, here we go.

I bought a Zune HD last week. I tried to access my EX495, wanting to stream videos, but got a message saying that flash was required. I looked but couldn't find flash for the Zune. So the Zune was returned for refund. A sad story, especially since...

A week before that, I had been streaming to an iTouch, via the HP MediaSmart Server iStream app which I found in the app store. It worked quite well.

So to summarize, Apple iTouch streaming from WHS works. MS Zune streaming from WHS does not.

My question is this: is anyone streaming video to Zune HD from WHS? If so, how did you get it to work?

When I was testing this, I had brought up Zune's built-in browser and navigated to my server using my domain name. At that point, and before I was able to login, I was notified that I needed flash. As I mentioned, I've since returned the Zune.

@Dave - No, I hadn't specified port 9000 when testing the Zune. But using my browser now, I do see it brings up Twonky directly if I use an internal IP - 192.168.1.30:9000 - but I can't reach it using my server's domain name unless the port 9000 is forwarded......Ok, so now I just forwarded port 9000 and I get right into Twonky using http://www.xx.hphomeserver.com:9000. Seems to stream well enough, so that's cool. But I'm closing that port again because there's no login requirement, so anyone can access my server.

Bottom line is that an Apple device works with the streaming features of my Window Home Server. Microsoft Zune HD does not. That's a bit of a head scratcher, to put it mildly. I'm still hoping someone will tell me that streaming to a Zune from WHS can be done, and in a secure manner.

While I heard you talking about your Zune HD on the podcast, I didn't remember you specifying one way or the other. Now I know. I appreciate the confirmation.