Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD recommendation for Microserver


Robertomcat
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello!

I am looking for two SSD's to replace the two OCZ Trion150 of 120GB that I have in a RAID1 in the controller p410 (I have thought shortly change the p410 for a p420). These two discs that I have positions are not the most advisable to have them 24/7, since they have almost two years uninterrupted and I will replace them.

Since at the time I bought these two discs for their price and I did not see anything related to the features, this time I want to buy two discs that are suitable for the server. I had thought of buying two discs that are of a small size, since I have the 120GB and the most I have used have been 40GB of its total capacity.

Can any of you recommend some SSDs for a server without being too expensive?

Thank you very much and greetings!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I would go for intel SSDs as 5 year warranty.

I just bouth 760p 256g for my tablet around 70GBP, but you will need m2 to pci-e adapter to use them.

Edited by qianjizhao
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, qianjizhao said:

Personally, I would go for intel SSDs as 5 year warranty.

 

Yes, it may be the best option. But within the Intel DC range, which one do you think would be the best without being too expensive? Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would keep using the OCZ's. As they are in RAID1 it is unlikely they will both fail at the same time. It would be good to have a spare available to quickly swap out a failed drive when it happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been saving up for Samsung Pro SSD’s for an unused server with 8 2.5” Drive bays. If I can fill it up I have Windows Server 2016 that is going on it and that will be my Hyper-V Server.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tend to buy SSD's from manufacturers that make their own flash chips:
Intel
Micron/Crucial
Toshiba
Sandisk
Samsung
SK Hynix
For small SSD I tend to buy used.
I would not be concerned about SSD's running 24/7. Writing and erasing wears out SSD's.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

I would keep using the OCZ's. As they are in RAID1 it is unlikely they will both fail at the same time. It would be good to have a spare available to quickly swap out a failed drive when it happens.

Okay, well then I'll keep them until one breaks. More than anything I wanted the recommendation because I thought that these discs would not hold much (they might break soon) thanks!

14 hours ago, orcf said:

Don’t go for adata I used one and lots of problems

Once I used one for a laptop, and I had to return it. Very bad experience Thank you!

13 hours ago, depillow said:

I have been saving up for Samsung Pro SSD’s for an unused server with 8 2.5” Drive bays. If I can fill it up I have Windows Server 2016 that is going on it and that will be my Hyper-V Server.

uff what a barbarity jaja, I hope you go very well!  Although now that I remember, I read in some places that Windows server does not like Samsung SSD. I have never used them for server, although I do not think it's true that they are not good.

7 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

I tend to buy SSD's from manufacturers that make their own flash chips:
Intel
Micron/Crucial
Toshiba
Sandisk
Samsung
SK Hynix
For small SSD I tend to buy used.
I would not be concerned about SSD's running 24/7. Writing and erasing wears out SSD's.

Thanks for the recommendation, the next purchase I will look for the discs that have a five year warranty, such as Intel. The discs only use them for the operating system, and they have little use for writing and reading during the day. Thanks for your recomendation!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Samsung 850 Pro - 10 year warranty, drive should literally outlive the rest of the server.

The 10 year warranty if they are really good, thank you very much!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...