RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ChappyEight

Building New Network (Looking for Verification)

ChappyEight

Okay, so I'll be moving in about a month to a different home and I'm trying to gather the necessary materials to set up a relatively extensive mixed home network.  In order to simply get off the ground and get started, I've chosen the following pieces of equipment:

So, I'm a complete novice when it comes to building a mixed home network that will eventually entail a server room, NAS, etc.  However, I do know that I want all Gigabit equipment and the switch I chose is ginormous simply because I want the overhead to add connections later (IOW, I don't mind that it's overkill).  Also, again just because I can, I'm looking to get primarily enterprise quality equipment.  I'm not looking to burn money just to burn money, but I'm also not afraid to spend a little for a more quality network and something to learn on.

If I'm thinking correctly, I'll connect into the modem , then to the router, then to the firewall (if necessary), then to the switch, then have the controller in one of the switch ports and the POE AP in one of the POE ports on the switch.  This, then, should give me both wired (by plugging Cat6a into the switch for other devices) and wireless access (via the AP), correct?  Am I forgetting/missing something?

Really appreciate you entertaining this novice as I try to learn/build this network.  You can see my ultimate goals here (Lofty, I know).

itGeeks

Welcome to the forums!

Wow for a novice as you say you jumped right to Cisco products, May I ask why Cisco? Not that anything is wrong with it I was just wondering.

I am partial to Netgear products so I would recommend the Netgear CM600 for your modem found here it was also rated best high-speed modem 2018 by tom's guide. The modem is capable of up to 960 Mbps download and 240 Mbps upload speed.

For a router/firewall I would recommend the Synology RT2600ac, It has wireless built in but you can disable it. This router has some great features and add on packages such as VPN Plus Server, DNS server, Intrusion Prevention. This also has parental controls and nice reports. I have also used Asus, Untangle, pfSense. There are Pro's and Con's to them all, It just depends if you want to baby site them and the level of control you wan't. For me the Synology offers a nice balance of control, security and performance.

For switches another option would be a Netgear GS752TP, Unlike the Cisco it supports PoE/PoE+ on all ports.

For the AP's those Cisco Aironet look nice but ouch my poor wallet, The controller cost 499.00 it looks like. Have you considered other options? Like Netgear Orbi or Orbi Pro, Eero, Ubiq UniFi AC How many sqft is your new home?

Edited by itGeeks
  • Thanks 1

ChappyEight

Wow for a novice as you say you jumped right to Cisco products, May I ask why Cisco? Not that anything is wrong with it I was just wondering.

Embarrassingly, only because I saw that my office uses all Cisco products.  Combine that with the fact that forums tend to work better if one first provides a list to critique, voila, a Cisco list, lol.

I am partial to Netgear products so I would recommend the Netgear CM600 for your modem found here it was also rated best high-speed modem 2018 by tom's guide. The modem is capable of up to 960 Mbps download and 240 Mbps upload speed.

In a weird twist, I was literally reading that exact article just now.  I'll definitely update my list to include this modem as Spectrum approves of it as well.

For a router/firewall I would recommend the Synology RT2600ac, It has wireless built in but you can disable it. This router has some great features and add on packages such as VPN Plus Server, DNS server, Intrusion Prevention. This also has parental controls and nice reports.

This is hugely helpful to me.  I have an 8 and 6 year old so the parental controls are a great addition as well.  I should add, I own an ASUS RT-AC68 already.  Would the Synology still be a good choice as an upgrade?  Or should I consider keeping the ASUS?

For switches another option would be a Netgear GS752TP, Unlike the Cisco it supports PoE/PoE+ on all ports.

I like the idea of PoE/PoE+ on all ports as, in my long term vision, I'm hoping to have a number of PoE cameras and other accessories.

For the AP's those Cisco Aironet look nice but ouch my poor wallet, The controller cost 499.00 it looks like. Have you considered other options? How many sqft is your new home?

Ashamedly, no.  I tried to find what seemed like a decent AP/controller combo with the Cisco name brand as a simple starting point.  I'm wide open to suggestions.  The home is 2,500 SF, comprised of 2 stories and I was considering adding an exterior AP out on the back patio.

Really, really appreciate you taking the time to chime in ITG!

Edited by ChappyEight
Added info about my existing router.

itGeeks

No worries, I do the same thing when I go to business. Look around at there gear and think ha maybe I should use that lol. In a house your size all the products I referenced will serve you well, Take a hard look at the regular Orbi system RBK50, Its AC3000 and the two kit system will cover up to 5000 sqft. Orbi also has 'Circle by Disney' built in for parental controls, Netgear also just came out with an Orbi outdoor unit as well found here. Fyi, Synology announced at Synology 2018 they where joining the Mesh party and coming out with what there calling a Mesh Router that works with there RT2600ac router to extend WiFi much in the same way as Orbi, Eero, and others so lots of choices here.

I am sure others will chime in with recommendations as well.

Edited by itGeeks
  • Thanks 1

ChappyEight

Really appreciate your insights.  Going to update the list and do some more research on Orbi.

• Like 1

ChappyEight

Another random question.  If I went with Orbi and the Netgear switch you mentioned, would I have the ability to create a guest WiFi network with landing/splash page (kind of like a coffee shop where you read a disclaimer and then click an "Accept to Connect" button)?  Or am I getting way too complicated now?

schoondoggy

Sorry if I missed this info, but how big is your house? Is it finished or are you building it?

Cisco is good gear, but buying Enterprise gear tends to bring Enterprise management work, you need to be more hands on. Before picking a router/firewall, are you looking for it to have any automated functions or parental controls?

For WiFi, if you are going to use traditional WAP's it is best to have Ethernet cable pre-run to the locations you intend to deploy them. Size  and layout of your house will effect WiFi coverage. Do you need WiFi outside, patio or pool? 

itGeeks

Regarding your current Asus Wi-Fi router, Asus make some fantastic routers I used them for years it's only a three-stream AC1900 wireless router, If you wan't the best shot for speed/coverage from a single wireless router choose a four-stream. The Synology RT2600ac is a four-stream router and works extremely well in my environment, Notice I said my environment. SNB said it best, "In the end, the only real way to know how a wireless router or Wi-Fi System will perform is to try it". Spend some time over on SNB website, They are the voice/king of Wi-Fi, Take a look at this article then poke around, Lots of info... In the end if you ask 10 people whats the best wireless router/system your going to probably get 10 different answers and that's because there is no one environment the same and each one poses different challenges. I could sit here all day and tell how how great my recommendation is of the Synology RT2600ac is because it works really well for me. You could purchase it and say is this guy NUTS? This is junk because it does not work well for you.

I would say Amazon is your friend and returns are normally hazel free so purchase something that sound like a good fit and try it. Start out with a good single point wireless router such as the Synology RT2600ac and try and install it in the center of your space and test it, If features, coverage, performance is good then keep it. If coverage is almost perfect then either use it for now till Synology releases the new Mesh 'add-on' later this year or return it and try something else.

As far as Netgear Orbi I wan't to be clear here, My recommendation to try it was only for WiFi not to be used as your router. Netgear seems to have a major flaw with there guest network, You can read about it here, Using Orbi in AP mode you wont care about this flaw because it will be handle by your chosen router. Even with this flaw SNB ranks it #1 whole home WiFI solution as well as thewirecutter

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

@ChappyEight

I was trying to find the 'WiFi system' aka whole home WiFi ranker by SNB to include on my previous post, It took me a bit of digging but I have now found it. Have a look at it, It may aid you if your looking to go down this road but please keep in mind, All of this was done in a controlled environment so mileage may vary. But it should give you an idea of what to expect in a perfect world. Wi-Fi System Ranker

Here is the router ranker by SNB, Please note this does not include the Synology RT2600ac, Look below for the review.

Here is the SNB review of the Synology RT2600ac four-stream wireless router.

Edited by itGeeks