RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MS Forefront Endpoint Protection

geek-accountant

Just came across this on the MS website. Does anyone know anything about this product? Is it like a network version of Security Essentials, at a cost?

It is microsofts corporate antivirus solution.

And quite capable one, if AV test sites are to be believed.

Edited by kermi

Forefront is very good and in offered as a trial within the SBS (Small Business Server) install. If you have TechNet, it is available there. The only issue I see with the program is the scanning engines installed get changed almost quarterly, either dropped and replaced or just dropped altogether.

I run it on the server only and not on any clients. The product is designed to be the AV solution for the Exchange install which is a part of SBS. In five years, I have not had a virus come thru any of my Exchange accounts.

Speaking of Antivirus, I just reinstall Avast for WHS on my EX490. My license is good until 2012. I have the family pack so the Avast addin will check that the PC versions are up to date and I can start a scan from the server. Also Avast protects email on the server and a few other things. I had to turn off Microsoft Security Essentials though.

diehard, I have the family pack of Avast also. But I think it expires in April 2011 at which time I most likely will move all our PC's over to Security Essentials. In my case, all internet traffic is run through my UTM (Untangle) which does a virus scan among other things. Knock on wood, but so far none of the PC's have had a virus which is saying something given my two teenage boys.

I had looked at Astaro and I thought it had a 10 IP limit before you had to pay. If that isn't the case anymore, then I would be interested in giving it a try.

Right now, I am using pfSense and it is a kick butt router. No matter what traffic we through at it, you can never tell it is stressed with my test being will it make an online first person shooter (FPS) lag. Even pre-built router I have ever owned would cause some lag with online FPS games if someone was watching Hulu, Youtube, Netflix or something similiar. With my current router, I can stream HD Netflix or Zune movies through one Xbox, while one kid is using the other for playing an online game, while another kid is watching something on Youtube or Hulu and none of use notice any lag due to our portion of the network.

My router and UTM are on a Xenserver which is a great setup. It allows me to have several different pfSense setups as well as other router software I want to try (like Smoothwall or Astaro if it is free for more than 10 IP's). All I have to do is turn one off and then turn the other on and BAM, all new router setup. Pretty sweet!

Looks like they have up the IP's to 50. I am downloading a copy now and will install it on my router Xenserver soon to give it a test run. Going to take a lot to get me to move off pfSense permanently, but then again that's the beauty of having all this on a VM server, moving from one to the other is no trouble at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok John, I got Astaro loaded on my firewall Xenserver but don't have it actually doing anything yet. The package looks pretty good, but it seems to be lacking UPnP which is a problem.

Before pfSense, my store bought routers (Netgear and Linksys) would have UPnP issues from time to time which would cause a "strict" NAT issue on one or both Xbox 360's. So far, pfSense has been great with UPnP.

• 2 months later...

I tried playing with MS-FEP in VM but I couldn't get it to install because I'm not on a domain. It required a DC (not a workgroup).

Maybe I did something wrong?