RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Admin account without interactive logon rights?

WHS_Refugee

On my WSE2012R2 server, I have an admin account I use to log in to the server directly, and then the user account.  My wife and my kids have Standard User accounts, and my user account is a local admin account.  I'd like to lock my account down to Standard User/Remote Desktop User, and also be able to allow my wife to install applications without having to use my username and password.

Can I set up a local admin account on the domain that doesn't have interactive logon rights, yet is still able to perform the usual admin tasks like installing software?  I know that service accounts work this way, but I'd like to create a local admin account just for admin tasks.  Thanks!

Drashna Jaelre

Nope.  On a domain controller (WSE), all accounts are domain accounts. There is no such thing as a local account on a domain controller.

There are ways to do this, I believe, but it involves digging into security policies on the system/domain, and enabling it. 

WHS_Refugee

Well, to clarify, I'd like for the local admin account to be for the clients, not the server.  having an account that has admin rights on the laptops and desktops (which I already have), but without interactive logon.

We have something simular at some clients, Domain Admins are prohibited from logon to clients, and we then use a Local Administrator account to do any local work (which is again seperate to the user accounts) Its all done through GPO's.

We have a group called "Local Administrators" that we put the local admin accounts into this allows us to add and remove local admin rights at will

UserRightsAssignments.PNG

LocalAdmins.PNG