RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Doubt over maximum capacity TB controller p410

Robertomcat

Hello good day!

I was interested in putting four 10 TB disks to the G8 server, which has a p410 controller. But before buying them I wanted to make sure that I could manage such an amount of terabytes. I have been searching the Internet and I have found the specifications of the controller, and in the section "capacity" I have the doubt of whether you can manage these four discs.

Can someone help me interpret the information?

Thank you very much and greetings!

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01677092

2018-02-24_11h54_33.jpg

Hi Rob,

There are 2 general considerations for all systems:

1. Does the machine boot with BIOS or UEFI?

2. Are the hard disks formatted as MBR or GPT?

The key constraint is that a BIOS machine can only boot to an MBR disk ... which is limited to 2GB.

GPT disks can be any size ... or rather some huge number which I cannot be bothered to look up! 

The G8 is a BIOS machine and so the boot disk is limited to 2GB.

HOWEVER

That is the reason so many people on this forum have modified the base G8 configuration and enabled the 5th SATA port as a boot drive. By booting to a small SSD one can speed up initial start times and OS/application operations ... and free all 4 of the main disk bays for GPT drives of any size.

I haven't made this modification but still operate on an old G7 Microserver with:

-2GB MBR boot drive for Windows 10 Professional

- 8GB GPT data drive

- 6GB GPT data drive

- 8GB GPT data drive

Your best bet would be to make the SSD mod (say a cheap 40-60GB SSD) and install your 4x10TB drives as required.

Having said all that I have no experience with the 410 controller - I use the far inferior B120i!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JackoUK said:

Hi Rob,

There are 2 general considerations for all systems:

1. Does the machine boot with BIOS or UEFI?

2. Are the hard disks formatted as MBR or GPT?

The key constraint is that a BIOS machine can only boot to an MBR disk ... which is limited to 2GB.

GPT disks can be any size ... or rather some huge number which I cannot be bothered to look up! 

The G8 is a BIOS machine and so the boot disk is limited to 2GB.

HOWEVER

That is the reason so many people on this forum have modified the base G8 configuration and enabled the 5th SATA port as a boot drive. By booting to a small SSD one can speed up initial start times and OS/application operations ... and free all 4 of the main disk bays for GPT drives of any size.

I haven't made this modification but still operate on an old G7 Microserver with:

-2GB MBR boot drive for Windows 10 Professional

- 8GB GPT data drive

- 6GB GPT data drive

- 8GB GPT data drive

Your best bet would be to make the SSD mod (say a cheap 40-60GB SSD) and install your 4x10TB drives as required.

Having said all that I have no experience with the 410 controller - I use the far inferior B120i!

Thanks for the information, and sorry for not finishing putting the necessary information in post.

Currently the server is managed all by the p410 controller, the operating system is on two 120GB disks in RAID1 (on the side of the power supply) with a Windows Server 2016 operating system. The four 10 TB disks that I want to buy would be for storage (RAID5), therefore it would not boot the system from there.

Then there would be no problem in putting four 10 TB disks (or 12.14TB, who knows) in the bays?

Sorry again for not adding the necessary information.

Hello, someone who can help me with my doubt?

Partner JackoUK has guided me, but he is not working with the p410 controller. I also think like him, that surely will be able to support the four discs of 10 TB. Please, I need someone to corroborate me or guide me a little on this subject before making the purchase of the discs (I think I have found good offer and I would not like to lose it).

Thank you very much and greetings!

It was you who actually stated previously that 10Tb is OK for P410...;)

Do you have access to hard drive samples? :rolleyes: It is really hard to find out some information as not so much people are still using P410 or Microserver with new high capacity HDDs. You'd better check. Can say for sure 8Tb is OK in most cases...

1 hour ago, Gulftown said:

It was you who actually stated previously that 10Tb is OK for P410...;)

Do you have access to hard drive samples? :rolleyes: It is really hard to find out some information as not so much people are still using P410 or Microserver with new high capacity HDDs. You'd better check. Can say for sure 8Tb is OK in most cases...

Hello, thanks for answering.

Yes, I tried a 10 TB disk some time ago, and the controller had no problem recognizing it, but it was only a disk, and I want to put four in the bays (I have two 120GB SSDs in RAID1 for the operating system, which are on the side of the power supply).

As for the discs that I want to acquire, they are the following:

HGST - HUH721010ALE600 - 0F27604

https://www.senetic.es/product/0F27604

2 hours ago, Robertomcat said:

Hello, thanks for answering.

Yes, I tried a 10 TB disk some time ago, and the controller had no problem recognizing it, but it was only a disk, and I want to put four in the bays (I have two 120GB SSDs in RAID1 for the operating system, which are on the side of the power supply).

As for the discs that I want to acquire, they are the following:

HGST - HUH721010ALE600 - 0F27604

https://www.senetic.es/product/0F27604

I'd be glad to say something but I've read on HP forums about the exactly same problem you are worried about - one or two of four 8Tb drives have been lost by P222 as far as I remember. P410 is more likely to make some trouble in this case. The only way for you I guess is to try.

I really like the price - I paid the same money for ST8000NM055. What warranty comes with this drives?

Edited by Gulftown

1 minute ago, Gulftown said:

I'd be glad to say something but I've read on HP forums about the exactly same problem you are worried about - one or two of four 8Tb drives have been lost by P222 as far as I remember. The only way for you I guess is to try.

I really like this price - I paid the same money for ST8000NM055. What warranty comes with this drives?

Well, they have a five-year guarantee, which is what I like the most. I was looking for hard drives that had that guarantee. As for the price, I think it's good.

I'm about to click and buy them, but the only brake I have is the question of whether the controller will accept these four 10 TB disks. In some Telegram group they have told me that they will accept it, but I want to know better. I currently have 4 × 6 TB WD RED and I have not had any problems.

You can try to buy disks, if it will not work, you can send it back to retailer. In our country is possible to buy from eshop and return it in 14 day without problem