RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Poppapete

10G Network

schoondoggy

When you look at the network settings is the network still trying to use the 1Gb nics?
You may need to disable the 1Gb nics and set the networking up using the 10GbE nics.

ShadowPeo

Check the IP Addresses/Gateway on the 10G NIC's Windows often drops the gateway on secondary NIC's if configured to prevent routing loops and other issues, if you go in and configure it, it will stay but it may take 2 attempts as it seems that its trying to get you to confirm you want the two gateways.

Also, check the Subnets, and ensure both are on the same subnet and you have not inadvertently borked the mask.

Poppapete

Great links to interesting articles. I had read some previously as I have setup teaming.  Both desktop and server have more than one 1GB nic but I left that off the diagram for simplicity.  The server was setup with teamed connection. (I had the previous desktop with a teamed connection while it was enabled in a version of W10).

I already have a secondary switch attached to my 24 port switch (it is a 4 port poe switch for my security cameras) and anything plugged into just becomes part of the LAN so why when I plug a 10G switch into the 24 port will any device plugged in not just become part of that LAN?!

Poppapete

Impressed so many trying to help.  I should give more information.

I set all my nics on desktop and server with fixed ip's from the router which maybe the wrong thing to do when adding a new 10G switch.

I tried just connecting the 10G switch directly to the router (thus separating it from the rest of the network) and only having the DT and server connected to the 10G switch.  I had LAN access to the web but could not ping the server from the DT.

I might try to delete the fixed IP's and try letting the router assign dynamic ip's.

I will also check the subnets as suggested.

JackoUK

Ouch. So:

- the switch isn't working

- cables not working

- drivers not properly installed

- ?

My idea about subnets is I think a red herring: SMB Multichannel should  work on client and server OOTB.

If you have a spare 1GB switch replace the 10GB switch. This will show whether SMB MC is working.

Edited by JackoUK

JackoUK
7 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

When you look at the network settings is the network still trying to use the 1Gb nics?
You may need to disable the 1Gb nics and set the networking up using the 10GbE nics.

No!

The essence of SMB multichannel is to use commodity components in a scale-out (parallelised) fashion.

SMB is (supposed to be) clever enough to find all network paths and use them simultaneously.

MSFT's strategy (the company does get some things right) was to take over the very expensive high-end market of expensive SAN's and expensive disks in expensive RAID arrays ...

... with SMB MC and Storage Spaces on cheap devices.

Let's leave Storage Spaces to a separate discussion! (Once you have high bandwidth networking ... you need high bandwidth storage).

Hopefully $MSFT won't take SMB MC out of the client SKU's and put it in the rumoured-soon-to-be--more expensive Home Advanced and Pro for Workstations SKU's (as they have done ReFS).

That's for data transfer.

For http traffic network priority per NIC may apply with EDGE or CHROME.

I haven't come across anything that describes how other applications interact with the network stack.

NB: still not claiming to be any sort of expert, even have any real experience, just reading the docs for the 2nd time here.

Edited by JackoUK

JackoUK

"I have started teaming."

No again!

Or rather not really necessary if SMB MC is working ...

... SMB MC was designed to replace this configuration option by an automatic, dynamic process ...

... and also bring commodity NIC's and switches which didn't have the teaming option into play. For example the Gen 8 HP Microserver has 2 ports. Connect both to 2 commodity switches and you have instant doubling of bandwidth and failover with zero Windows or switch configuration.

That's what's supposed to happen, anyways.

Edited by JackoUK

ShadowPeo

Two things, One I doubt as it was a server 2012R2 issue with certain cards/drivers but check VM Queuing as I have it cause weird issues before.

One thing I should have thought if before is ensure that the connections between the switch(s)/router are right, especially when you are testing with the 10GBE switch only. The switches we use will not light up a port if it does not run at 1GBE, so the routers in the past have had to be fed through another switch to change it from 10/100 to 1000 before being fed into the core.

when you are connected only via the 10GBE card can you ping the switch (if it is managed and has an IP), the main switch, something else on the switch (the server), the router and if all those pass, try 8.8.8.8 its google's public DNS address and always a good thing to test ping

schoondoggy

No!
The essence of SMB multichannel is to use commodity components in a scale-out (parallelised) fashion.
SMB is (supposed to be) clever enough to find all network paths and use them simultaneously.
MSFT's strategy (the company does get some things right) was to take over the very expensive high-end market of expensive SAN's and expensive disks in expensive RAID arrays ...
... with SMB MC and Storage Spaces on cheap devices.
Let's leave Storage Spaces to a separate discussion! (Once you have high bandwidth networking ... you need high bandwidth storage).

Hopefully $MSFT won't take SMB MC out of the client SKU's and put it in the rumoured-soon-to-be--more expensive Home Advanced and Pro for Workstations SKU's (as they have done ReFS).

That's for data transfer.
For http traffic network priority per NIC may apply with EDGE or CHROME.
I haven't come across anything that describes how other applications interact with the network stack.

NB: still not claiming to be any sort of expert, even have any real experience, just reading the docs for the 2nd time here.
I understand how SMB is supposed to work, but when troubleshooting sometimes you need to break things down to the basics.
  • Like 1